1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic Firing Pin With Return Spring???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ljutic78s, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic78s

Ljutic78s Member

Just replaced the old firing pin with a new one with a return spring,the return spring is pretty stiff,would this not increase the lock time??? Seems like a good idea,pin should never get stuck in a primer this way?? Going to put the new CS hammer spring in next. Just asking John

2. biff

biff Active Member

John, I have the same firing pin and don't know for sure if what you are saying could be true, but I rather doubt you would be able to detect it if it did, since it(firing pin) is so low in mass weight; the CS spring is much stronger heavier and with the hammer weight already driving it forward with full momentum.

The biggest difference in your new setup is the consistency and long life of the CS spring. All of this will be negated as Ajax said with a greasy sluggish cocking rod resting against the hammer as it falls. Mine is now polished and has no oil on it to retard its forward motion, this I did notice! Biff

3. Ljutic78s

Ljutic78s Member

Put the new CS hammer spring in tonight,man its a stiff one!!! It takes 2 boys and a fat lady to cock!!! Hope this works???? Wonder if this makes things more complacated than it has to be???? Anybody notice that this spring is harder to cock?? Thanks John

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

how about pictures and prices of parts. what is the difference?? motordoc

5. Ljutic78s

Ljutic78s Member

Motordoc,firing pin looks the same as the old one, except the front half is tapered down to allow room to slide a small return spring over it,this makes the pin return behind the face of the reciver after firing.The CS hammer spring has 13 turns,black and is really hard,makes the hammer strike with more force than the old ones?? As for price not sure,paid by credit cared and never got the bill yet?? John

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ljutic seems to make everything heavier and stronger than necessary. Not much force should be required to return the firing pin. I would be tempted to go to Lowes and get two lighter springs. One for the gun and one as a spare.

Over the years I have changed/modified parts for many guns and my reloading machines. So far, about 95% of the time, my modifications did not work as well as the factory design, but I still keep trying new things.

Pat Ireland

7. biff

biff Active Member

John, I made a spring compressor using a 2 1/2" C clamp, it makes it easy to change the hammer spring for Ljutics. You need to be careful when installing the hammer spring as it can and will launch the little pushrod pin which goes inside the hammer spring; it will eject it to a place where it will never be found!

Yes, the CS spring is a little stouter than the old music wire spring, which had you rather have in your hammer? It should last as long as your Ljutic which will probably a very long time! I can't imagine other Ljutic owners not wanting to improve the performance of their shotguns, it just boggles my comprehension! With trigger improvement, I feel the old Ljutics can have triggers equivalent or better than many of the other makes and will outlast them all.

I personally feel the polished cocking rod without the sticky lubrication has made even more difference in my lock time consistency. I wish Ajax would explain how he put a return spring on his. Biff

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Biffer, I've read this thread and think your on the right track in your search. I've never owned a Ljutic or even shot one very many times. Reading this, my question is about the cocking rod interfering with or possibly hampering forward hammer travel. Maybe that rod should have a return spring on it to prevent that interference? Thinking with my fingers here. Hap

9. biff

biff Active Member

Hap, you are right. Ajax is way ahead of us by using a return spring in his. What I did was to polish the rod and hole it travels in and didn't put any oil or grease to hamper its movement. Now when I mount my Ljutic, I slowly bring up the end of the muzzle so as not to let the rod slide back against the hammer. Now with the rod free sliding in the hole it has less drag than the greasy rod I had in my gun before. I think the return spring would be better for when you have to raise the barrel after the high flying targets.

Hap don't let Tom go Ljutic, he would be unbeatable for us! Biffington

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

That AJAX guy belongs to the "Tweaks Brotherhood" also I've found out recently! He's a good mechanic!

Tom could shoot a Ljutic or a pipe and broomstick gun and never skip a beat! Prolly call it his "quail special" er sumthin like that? :) Hap

11. biff

biff Active Member

Ajax, I shot my Ljutic at the Illinois State shoot this past week and will say I noticed a vast improvement in the trigger performance. It was consistent and the light weight firing pin is definitely a plus. I do want to say however your information on the cocking rod made the whole package work! If the cocking rod is greasy it will be held back against the hammer and negate any improvement in the hammer spring and firing pin as it will hinder the forward movement of the hammer!

I offered advice and help to some of my fellow Ljutic shooters about the cocking rod.......do you think it fell on deaf ears? Why? Biff

12. elinvar

elinvar Member

Hey Biff
    I was a pleasure talking Ljutic's with you at the Ill State shoot- I am in the process of removing any grease from the cocking rods on my Ljutic's in stock- Also plan to get some of the new firing pins and springs from jimmy when I can. All new Ljutic's I order in will have the upgrades from the factory-
    Terry Jones

13. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Guys, the upgrade will cost you 85 bucks. Knowing that the new firing pin will probably never wear out in my lifetime---------priceless:) I did notice the cocking pressure difference and I got used to it almost immediately. The trigger I honestly cannot tell I have done anything to it. I have only pulled the trigger about 3300 times this spring and only practiced about 500 more birds. Just don't have the time off work to go shoot. I'll just have to concentrate more when I'm on the line at Sparta. Dan

14. biff

biff Active Member

Ajax, I'll Amen to that! "Consistency has to be consistent to be consistent!" I don't know about the lock time being faster, all I know is now I just shoot right at the angle targets.....no calculating leads, just like Jimmy said! Your cocking rod imformation put the consistency "Right On" and I do feel as I said before, it is what put it all together for me! Thanks!

BTW, I had a friend say to me not to give this info to other Ljutic shooters, let them be handicapped by the lack of information. I don't feel that way about it and am willing to pass on the information and bring the Ljutic back into the prominance it deserves!

Terry, it was really good to talk with you at the Illinois State shoot and feel with your upgrade to the Ljutics you will be selling is a very positive step in your customer relations and make those guns competitive with any on the market and at a better value. Thanks to you for listening and I wish you the best with your business venture! Biff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ljutic firing pins