1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic Chamber Tightness

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bassetguy, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassetguy

bassetguy TS Member

The chamber on my model 73 seem very tight. Having issues ejecting some shells on reloads that I would have no problem with on my Daly. Any thoughts? Should I have it opened some or is there a lubrication issue I am missing?

2. JTEA

JTEA Member

Get a micrometer and compare it to other guns. The early Ljutics were all set up to shoot Win AA which are a little smaller with their tapered hulls. I had one opened up by Ljutic as I was shooting Federals at the time. You can have a local gunsmith take a few thousands out if it's tight. I had a 73 as my first Ljutic, it was built to last. You can't hurt it. Call them, they will verify.

JT

3. bassetguy

bassetguy TS Member

actually, all I reload are WIN AA's. In my Daly I could reload them until they fell apart. In the 73, I'm afraid to push them past 2-3 reloads. I wonder if I have the forcing cone lengthened maybe that will help

4. Aintlost

Aintlost Member

I sent a barrell to Briley, they opened the chamber, that fixed the problem. Lengthing the forcing cones will not solve the concern with steel hulls in he chamber area, due to the cones beig forward the steel on the hull.

Lane

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

As a long time Ljutic 73 owner (27 years and counting) I can vouch for the failure to eject problem. Mine hates steel headed hulls of any kind and isn't too fussy about Federal ribbed hulls either. Just a fact of life....shoot AA's or Remingtpon STS's.

6. bassetguy

bassetguy TS Member

The shells I load (WIN AA's) were previously shot out of my Daly.My loader is a MEC that is about 10 years old.

7. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I'm just thinking out loud here...

I'll bet the chamber on your Daly is larger than your Ljutic. Along with that, your resizer might not be adjusted properly.

Everything I've used has worked without trouble in my Ljutic, but mine is brand new compared to yours. Mine was made in 2005 and probably has less than 10K rounds through it. I've only put 5K through it since I've had it.

Anyway, check that resizer. Just a thought.

8. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I wounder why a defect of design is taken as a badge of pride? Bruce

9. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ljutics as well as Alfermans, Silver Seitz and Cole guns all suffer the same problem. The ejector system relies solely on the pressure of the ejector spring to push the shell out of the chamber. Remember, this shell has just been subjected to around 10,000 pounds of pressure! Brass, being softer and less prone to "work harden" under pressure, springs back closer to its original size after firing, the aforementioned guns then have no issue pushing out the empty shell. When you throw in steel head hulls, the rules change.

Developed in Europe as a less expensive alternative, (they don't reload there ... ever!) they work fine in all the European O/U and Singles as they have a "Cam action ejector". The shell is "Cammed up 1/8" or so prior to the ejector firing. Once you get them moving the ejector will kick them out.(Kolars have cam ejectors too...)

As you reload hulls, the real brass ones get harder and harder as they are shot and forced to resize over and over. The metal will become stiff and the same effect will happen to them as happens to the steel hulls.

My Seitz hangs a lot with Kemen shells that I shoot. I solved the problem by dumping out the shells I use for matches and wiping the brass (steel...) head with an oily rag. A pain in the butt, however they all kick out of the gun and I can shoot the lower cost shells.

Bob Schultz

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I am curious, what model is that 10 year old MEC.

Bob Lawless

11. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Keep the empties for the daily separate from the Ljutic. I never resize the base and do not have any problems with my guns, chambering or ejecting any of my shells. But if you do, just keep them separate. Did I say I don't reload steel base hulls.?

12. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

The "ONLY" resizer that works is the MEC SUPERSIZER. You can resize the base to .800 and use brass base shells and you should have no problems.

13. dospa

dospa TS Member

Opening a chamber may be the wrong thing to do. An oversize chamber will
    allow shell to expand and make ejection problem worse.Be sure chamber is too tight before opening it.(removing metal)
    Tom E. McElroy

14. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

As Tom said some old Ljutics have developed an oversize chamber and will lock up with even factory AA's due to the wear of over a million shells. I talked to a shooter that owned one of the first guns, it would even split the brass on factory shells. AJ

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

My Ljutic #111 will not eject Gun Club hulls even if they were resized on 3 different machines before loading . It won`t eject a factory Gun Club shell either . No problem with STS's as said before , they are a brass base . I reload all the Gun Clubs for the rest of my other guns but stick with the Green or Gold STS`s for the Ljutic . I would not even think of opening the chamber for using those cheap hulls . I have tried steel wool on a drill and lubed the chamber with oil or dry powdered graphite and nothing works except Brass based hulls . My gun ejects fine the way it is

16. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

The problem is with the SHELLS and it is not isolated to just Ljutics. One of my Remington 1100s (1982 vintage) has affectionately become know as the Jam-O-Matic. I was told the light #8 shells I was shooting would not cycle in a semi-auto so I switched shells. Changed the O ring. Cleaned it, polished it, shot it dry, shot it wet. Still would jam on occassion.

It might be a lot of things...but one thing I know for sure is that several shells out of every box of Kemen shells are either out of round or large enough to have to literally FORCE in and out of the chamber. Remington and Winchester shells seem to have much better diameter consistency and cause very few problems.

17. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

The problem on my Ljutic was an oversized chamber, not a undersized chamber. I had the chamber sleeved and the problem went away!

18. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

My gun didn't like steel hulls and they stuck regularly. I had a gun smith polish the chamber out and it fixed the problem,I've had no issues since.
    Jack

19. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

My Ljutic is the same way....brass base only. But, I really dont understand the concern. After all, if you can afford to buy a nice gun, why not use a good shell?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.