1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic back in the hands of Irwin Manufacturing ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 3357, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3357

3357 Member

I called Ljutic today for a part and was told Irwin has the company back. I thought the just in time/Lean manufacturing guru who bought the company from Irwin had big plans (as featured in Trapshooting USA). I had not heard a whisper about this. Anyone know what happened? I suspect Ljutic is in better hands with Irwin. just wondering.

2. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

It amazes me that nice used Ljutics can be had at current prices. Lets face it, very nice used Ljutics are selling at 1/3 the cost of a new one. That's a BARGAIN for a gun of this quality. A Ljutic is a life time gun that can be serviced, IF EVER NEEDED, by most any decent gunsmith. Changing pins and springs every 5 years or so is about all the PM that is needed. This can be done by an owner in 5 minutes, no special tools needed. Keep the gun clean and lubed and service may never be necessary. Even if Ljutic closed it's doors forever, replacement pins and springs can be found at an industrial supply house or even a good hardware store such as ACE. A Ljutic, given proper cleaning and lube, should last a lifetime without need for overhaul. Let's assume that you bought a well worn Ljutic that has been negleted and Ljutic went belly up and closed it's doors forever. Rebuild is not a complicated process. There are many good smiths outside of the Ljutic Factory capable of servicing these guns. I have bought several Ljutics over the last few months just because they were such a bargain. Sooner or later buyers will realize what these guns are and prices will escalate. Marc

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Look at the 90T... abandoned by Remington... as popular as ever...

Jay

4. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

I would be interested in a bargan 32" pro 3 or LTX. Shoot me a PM. GaryL.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It's simple. When people are willing to spend big bucks for a new gun they want the newest thing out there. When they just want a good gun, they want the best gun at the lowest price.

6. pdq

pdq Member

I bought a used Ljutic from a friend about 5 - 6 years ago, and shortly afterwards heard troubling news about the future of the company. I called Nadine and bought 2 of their spare parts kits -- whole bunch of springs, pins, etc., at something like $100 - $150. I figured with them, the gun wouldn't need parts for the next 50 - 100 years. Well, maybe a main spring now & then, so buy a couple more of those. I've since sold the gun and the parts kits went with it.

Great guns.

Pete

7. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I dunno. I have a tall rib Ljutic that is a bit loose when closed. It shows wear to the lock release button face. Could I buy one from Ljutic? No. They want the gun sent to them, and they will repair it for several hundred dollars. Plus shipping costs both ways. I plan to have Moneymakers weld it up and polish it back down instead.
    I like the gun, like the brand, etc, but that was sort of a kick in the crotch.
    dju

8. white rattler

white rattler Member

It is to bad, but I think that they are dying a slow death. Trevor Dawe.

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

"Look at the 90T...abandoned by Remington" Designed and manufactured by Kolar.

Old 90T's and Ljutics will be around forever and at some point probably a collectable. Both great guns.

The only thing Remington makes worth owning today is STS and Nitro 27 shells.

10. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

From five years ago - -

Like most successful small businesses, Ljutic Industries has always focused on what is best for the company and the consumer and the most efficient manner in which to operate the business. With that credo in effect, on September 11, 2006, a portion of Ljutic Industries was sold to business entrepreneur Jere Irwin of Irwin Research & Development. Irwin is involved in a number of business ventures, among them manufacturing dies and machines to produce plastic and foam packaging for pre-packaged food and the fast-food market. With the new partnership, Ljutic L.L.C. gained 160,000 square feet of manufacturing capability, as well as world-class engineering and marketing talent. Ljutic is now solidly positioned to maintain their long and well-established place as a leader in the production of custom specialty guns in the United States. One of the first fruits of this new partnership is a new adjustable rib for the famous Ljutic Mono Gun.

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

So, can anyone tell me, what's the deal with Ljutics problem with steel headed shotshells? Is it metallurgical, tolerance generated or a chamber finish problem? Friend of mine has one that does it, and he would like to know too.

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Not sure why they won't eject steel hulled shells. Heard several times the tight chamber rumor and the fact that some shells expand a little after being shot. My stainless Mono Gun wouldn't eject any "B" grade shell period. (Rio, Estate, Kemen, Centurion, Wolf, Diana) But it sure liked the STS, Federals and Winchester Super Handicaps.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

It's my guess that Ljutic chambers are designed for brass based shotshells only. Brass bases expand and contract to near new specks where steel expands and doesn't contract enough for that size chamber.

Hap

14. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

The geometry is not right if the shells won't eject. Polishing with diamond dust can help this problem alot and not just Lujtics.

Regards,

Harry

15. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

Briley Mfg. can cure the shell sticking problem for you. All make shells eject like rocket ships out of both my Ljutics.

16. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

Small manufacturing companies have a tough time:
    Ljutics are tough, heavy, target crushing machines. They are built like tanks; and while not slim and sleek, were built to do a job superbly well, and they do.
    But, look at all the really good products that have vanished in our lifetimes.
    Parker and other lovely American side by sides are gone, not because they weren't great guns, but because the amount of hand labor just became too expensive to make the product saleable.
    Nadine is a sweetheart. But, she grows older, and old Ljutic shooters hope she lives and works until she is 100, but that probably won't happen.
    Al was an inventor; maybe even a genius, but as is often the case, genius inventors don't always make the best business men,and the gun market is really tough, because of foreign competition wages being so much less.
    I hope the Ljutic survives. It is a wonderful trap gun. I too, have always been puzzled at their used prices, which I believe for the money, made it the best trap gun bargain going.

One old man's opinion
    Sam Ogle

17. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

dju:

If your lock button is not bottoming in the monoblock slot gun can be tightened by filing a little off the front edge of the lock block stop tab. This is the little tab that sticks up from the top on the locking lug. Marc

18. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Nothing lasts forever. Ljutic has made some of the best Trap guns in history.

My Mono Gun ARS has never failed to eject a hull no matter what it was made from. I did have one hull stick, but that was from a batch I didn't resize properly. They stuck in every gun I had.

I know they changed hands earlier this year, but I hadn't heard that they went back. Whatever happens, I hope they find a decent backer.

19. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I hope you're wrong Trevor, but it doesn't look good...will not change the fact I'll shoot mine till I can't any more....

20. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

Anyone know the estimated value on a rare ljutic bi-gun combo set? Upgraded wood and the single bbl is an unsingle. I heard there were less than 10 made, then I heard there were only 8 made. If that's the case, I think I have the last one, as all of the parts (stock, both sets of triggers, both bbls, etc.) all are numbered #8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

erwin research ljutic industries