1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ljutic and E3 Powder ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ljutic 4 Ice, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic 4 Ice

Ljutic 4 Ice TS Member

Hi Folks,

Someone a while back posted that they had a problem with the chamber of their Ljutic after shooting E3 powder and letting it set for a day or two. Is this an ongoing problem, and what happened? He said it was an expensive mistake. What exactly was the problem caused, and what was the fix? Thanks David.

2. Hunter46spring

Hunter46spring TS Member

I shoot a Ljutic Monogun and reload with E-3. I have never had a problem. However, my gun never sits more than 2 days after shooting without at least a pass from a bore snake and an oil wipe.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The E3 tends to build static and cling like a glue to certain things. It ruined a PW Plastic base for me and was sticking to the chamber on one of my guns. I liked it but dont buy it any longer because of that

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

I was the one it happened to and the problem occurred after shooting on a hot humid summer day. I had planned to shoot the next 2 days so I just put the gun away without cleaning in a soft case (one of the supposed silicone impregnated one). Events beyond my control prevented me getting to shoot or clean the gun for 2 days. When I took the gun out there was fine rust in the chamber and on the last few inches on the outside of the barrel. It had taken hold enough that it affected the blue on the barrel and roughened the chamber. The chamber problem could have happened with any gun that did not have a chromed bore or stainless barrel. The outside of the barrel where the gas flash over occurred could happen with any gun without a stainless barrel. The issue in my mind is the e3 which is a 2nd generation high intensity powder. Something in its makeup or combustion byproduct strips any lubricant from the steel and leaves it susceptible to rust. I contacted Alliant about my concerns. I still use e3 in very cold weather but now I do a quick clean and lube with a bore snake and CLP and a Rig rag at the end of each shooting day. I never re blued the barrel and it cost me about $150 to have the chamber polished.

Any quality steel will rust if you allow it to set unprotected in the right conditions. I won't make the mistake again.

--- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.