1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Living the simple life

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    My two adult children have always said that I live my life like it's 1957. I sit back and wonder is that all that bad? The 50's were a good time for a lot of Americans including my family.

Yesterday, I was at my local gun club shooting a couple practice rounds and one of my friends told me to watch some cable tv program. I responded by saying I don't have cable. He than said do you have a dish? I told him I have no idea what the he-- he is talking about.

He than asked me for my cell phone #. I said I don't have a cell phone. He than asked me for a home phone # and I don't have that either. He said how can I get in touch with you? I said at the gun club as I am here most Sundays.

We kept on talking and he found it odd that I do not have a charge card. I told him I pay cash for everything. He asked me how can you live in this day and age without charge cards? I said very easily. If I don't have the money to purchase something, I either save up or I don't get the item.

He than said at least you have a computer. I said I don't have a computer. He said your always on TS.com? I said my mother has a computer I use her's or I use one at the library.

He said you certainly lead a simple life. I said if that means a good happy life, I agree. He than said are you a cheap bast---? I said I don't think so.

He said for ages you've been shooting that old Remington 870 TB with most of the bluing off and your barrel is missing most of the rib. Why don't you purchase a new gun? I said I like the one I shoot and it fits me.

Once again, he was shaking his head. He than proceeded to show me his fancy beautiful gun. I admit it was gorgeous, but he told me he took out a loan to buy it.

I said, what if you can't shoot the gun? He said I'll make it shoot good then. Jokingly, I told him I had just 3 more payments to go before my TB was all paid off.

He ended our conversation by saying, I still believe your a cheap bast---. I said I don't think so, as I just like living a simple life with no financial worries.

My worry today is I have to litethe grill at 4pm for dinner. That alone the stress is killing me.

Here's my question, is leading the simple life all that bad if your happy? Any one else on here lead a simple life?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

2. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

You own a grill? Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Steve, if your happy thats all that matters. Dale

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

You have every right to live whatever you like, light candles and fish your own food, as long as you don't bother others, or burn down houses from you candles.

You pay the price for whatever you choose to do.

No phone or cellphone are fine, you might not care you're missing something that most people think it's important, like the convenience of mobile communication device, but this simple device might save your life in some critical situations like medical emergency or solo vehicle accident.

No charge card is fine, as long as you feel safe to carry lots of cash with you. You are running the risk of losing non-recoverable cash vs. a plastic charge card.

LIfe is not as simple as you might think, the world progress not because people want to live simple life.

If everyone lives their life like you, Remington will be making spears instead of 870. LOL.

Steve my friend, please don't fell offended, I totally respect your way of life, I'm sure you have much less worries than I do," Life is a bitch, then you die." makes sense in some cases.

But as for now, I'm enjoying my life with all the 21st century's technologies. I deposit checks with a photo from my cellphone, all my tenants pay their rents via elec. transfer, all my bills are paid by automatic payments, I transfer funds between banks without going to the bank or writing checks. I sign legal documents (some) using e-sign online. I don't buy stamps. I donate to my kid's school via scheduled fund transfers from my bank. My CPA file my returns electronically. I have much more time enjoying my life with things I like to do physically, shooting and sex for example (Not in that particular order).

Message sent from my 64GB iPhone 5. :)

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

And the problem is????

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Coach, the problem is, she might be a better hunter than I am, if she constantly brings back more food than I, I'll have less saying in the bedroom.

And I certainly don't want facing that spear when she ask me where I was last night. :)

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If she keeps me in venison, she can call the shots. LOL

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Steve as long as you are happy that's all that counts

We lead a fairly simple life too, but we do have cell phones (but we have the dumb ones that are smarter than me) and a land line, just because we are still kind of in business, we don't need the money but if a good simple a/c job comes around as I tell my wife it's Cabela's bucks, although they seldom get them

I never answer the land line just let the recorder do it and if I want to talk to them, which I never do, I will pick it up

We do use credit cards because we get 2% back, but pay them off monthly

We had dish TV but since we might have watched it 2 hours a month, and when we did there wasn't anything worth watching on the 250 channels we ditched that and now use the antenna, I think we get close to 70 channels, some messican and religious, but some pretty good regulars

My goal in life has become to not get off the farm more than once a month and that is to the VA for the blood check on the rat poison they give me to thin my blood

I have made it a few times

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

We go to rendezvous camps where everyone lives in tipis for the week/weekend. It's great. To get something to eat you stand around some guys lodge with a canopy over a grill. We jokingly called it "slow food" instead of "fast food". It's great food and guess what we do while we're waiting? We talk to people face to face who are also waiting to buy food. We get to know folks. When we see them later we talk to them - we become part of the community in the time it takes to get a meal - about as fast as it is at home in our own kitchen. In my suburban neighborhood no one talks. We have a few friendly neighbors, but most keep to themselves. Some we've never gotten to know. They moved away before we had the chance to meet them.

Want to get away and have a real vacation? Rendezvous.

White Hawk

9. Catpower

Joe we have the same thing here, when we first moved here there was a old couple that had a place down on the river bottom and every year everybody would chip in for hot dogs and bring a covered dish, and we would pitch horseshoes and toss washers and bean bags, sit around and BS, after they dies we tried to keep it going but the new people who had bought acreages around us never went so it fizzled out

We have one of the bigger chunks of land, 45 acres, and could never understand why people would move from the city out here but never come out of their houses

My wife and I almost live outdoors, hate being in the house

10. senior smoke

I retired from banking because it was getting to complicated. When I first started taking loan applications, a loan was ok'd with a hand shake. I got to know my customers and their children by first name.

If one of my customers were laid off, I would sometimes make the house payment for them if I could afford it, as they told me they were good for it, and I knew that. In all the years I worked for the bank I never had any one person not pay me back once they started working again.

Things changed then, and no one wanted to trust any one. No longer was a hand shake good enough as I would receive memos from snot nose lawyers that frowned on good customer relationships.

Instead of getting to know your customers, we had quotas on how many applicants we had to see per day. Today, I still go to the bank to see a teller and cash my check, as I do not have any of that fancy stuff the bank offers.

I don't have these iphones that are like magic boxes. My grandchildren read books instead of staying on computer games when they get home from school. When 5pm comes around we all sit down and eat dinner together and talk and ask how our day went?

I see on tv how some families treat each other and I shake my head in disbelief. I hate to admit it, but I have a black and white tv as I seldom watch any thing worth while.

I also love to listen to my bird house radio. Come Christmas, every one get's one present under $10.00 but most presents are made by hand. After dinner we all go to midnight mass and when we come back home we eat a real nice breakfast.

I once saw a baseball movie that the actor asked "is this place Heaven"? The response was no, it's Iowa. I feel the same as I live in a suburb of Milwaukee.

I enjoy shooting 50 targets of practice per week, and to be honest I feel like the luckiest man on Earth, despite all my medical problems. I have a good wife, great kids and Grand children. What more do you need?

If some of you feel like your drowning in bills, you might want to give the simple life a try, you just might like it. Before I forget, I don't have air conditioning either.

I'm getting my cane pole ready as I am picking my 3 grandkids up to go fishing for Bluegills this evening. Who knows if we catch anything, I'll show them how to clean the the fish and we will have a good diner tonight.
    Steve

11. Catpower

Steve we almost have to have A/C here in Texas, and that is what paid for everything

We have all the stuff we want and owe no one one cent

12. senior smoke

Catpower:
    Your doing better than most.
    Good job,
    Steve

13. Catpower

Yes Steve it is a good feeling, to get where we are we had to borrow quite a bit, but I kept my nose to the grindstone and it is all free and clear

The only problem is my body is about shot, well not shot just worn worse that I wanted

14. senior smoke

Catpower:
    My body is shot too. My mind makes me think I am still young. I played a lot of baseball for a time and I could run like a deer and throw a baseball from center field warning track to third base on a fly and to home plate on 1 bounce.

Recently, I attempted to play catch with my grandson and to my surprise I could not get the ball to home plate from the pitchers mound. I also threw out my arm.

I look in the mirror and ask myself who is this old man? When did I become my father?
    Steve

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I am very relieved to learn that, if I ever can't make my house payment, my banker might go into his own wallet and cover me. LOL, and monkeys might fly out of my butt too.

-Gary

16. Mapper

Mapper Member

Sr. Smoke is to be commended, but all of us cannot live like that. We have land line phones, and credit cards and a cell phone we only turn on when we want to call someone while on the road. The credit cards are used for our medicine(via my wife's union plan) and gasoline, mostly. I have my own computer because Mom has been gone since 2002 and never owned one anyway. The land line phones are because the family and my former co-workers are scattered all over the USA. However, two of my preferred trap guns are 1919 models.Everything has been paid for for some time. I would like a cash society, but I can't even fill my truck up anymore and go in and pay for it. It's all credit/debit card around here.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Well, point by point senior smoke...

I do have cable TV. I've cut way back on how much I watch it. When I do watch it it's for old classic movies, especially westerns, old classic cartoons, or maybe the Hitler & Shark Channel. Most of the rest of it is junk and I have no interest in it.

Yeah, I do have a cell phone, company provided. I doubt it gets more than 30 minutes a week use.

My home phone? Yeah, have one. Never use it. My daughter swipes the cordless handsets and loses them in her room.

Got rid of all the charge cards. The only debt we have is the house mortgage. It took some lean years to pay off credit cards and credit lines, and I missed out on buying some nice guns here, but we are debt free now.

Yup, have a couple of computers and use them. Even then I installed a simple, free operating system (linux) on them.

Simple life? These days I work on the house or garden, and sometimes hunt or shoot. The only other active hobby at the moment is building model kits.

And yeah, the 1187 I'm shooting has a pretty old pedigree. Tron keeps razing me over shooting such an old design. But it and millions of others like it work.

I agree with you. Simplifying things is good. I just am not going to get fanatical about it. I have some other things I like to do, like explore abandoned railroads, scenic photography, and some mothballed car projects. I've got ten years minimum until retirement, so why not start the transition early?

18. EEB

EEB Member

You use your mother's computer?

19. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Seeing you on here daily, tells me one of four things. Your very close to your mother (a good thing) or you live with mom or your taking advantage of mom or you stole mom's computer. I think I covered all bases. Now move over and let her do her college prep exams, banking, and face booking. Have a good day Steve!

20. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Here's some old time stuff that is fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.