1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Live turkey shoot in PA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by steele, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steele

steele TS Member

I was at the local Gander store last night & met a guy who told of local club conducting live turkey shoots somewhere in the Pgh, SW PA area. The way he described the event, it was sort of reminiscent of the old Sgt York movie. Anyone ever hear or been to this?? Butch

2. TRW369

TRW369 TS Member

I can remember going shooting trap with my Father at Newportville gun club just outside of Philadelphia and some of the rifle shooter would ask my Dad
    if he got lost this was the rifle range not the trap fields from that day on I remember my father coming home just before Thanksgiving with our dinner it was one of the best places to shoot trap when I was a kid and watch the turkey shoots

3. k32guy

k32guy TS Member

Butch

Let me know what you find out about Sgt York shoots.

Tim

4. santa fe 2343

santa fe 2343 Member

Just buy a turkey at the store, cook it for Linda with all the fixxens.

5. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I witnessed a live turkey shoot at a Waco, Texas gun club in 1962. They had cages behind a wall. Whenever a turkey stuck it's head out of the top of the cage, it was visible. I think the firing line was about 100 ft. away. They were shooting rifles, as I recall. Ron Renouf

6. HUNTIN-NUT

HUNTIN-NUT TS Member

There have been several clubs around SE PA that have them from time to time. Obviously they are not advertised publicly so you almost have to be "in the know" so to speak to get involved. Several archery clubs were having them as sort of novelty type shoots a couple times per year during their 3-d shoots to try to attract more participants. A rod and gun club located SE of Reading, PA just had one for rifle 2 weeks ago. They usually have 2 each year.

7. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Ah yes, I remember like it was yesterday. The year was 1956, I was but a skinny kid learning the ways of the club, but big enough to shoot the mighty 30-06. Dad and I arrived in his 1952 Plymouth, 4 door Cranbrook. A small town just outside Ebensburg, PA. The shooters all used the same club guns either a 03-A3 or the good old 8 lb. M1, both with open sights. I believe it was a 1.00 per shot. The turkey was in a cage behind a cinder block wall, 100 yards away. The cage had some what of an open top so the turkey could pop his head up and thru, visible above the cinder block wall. The shooter lay prone on a mat. Someone in the background clucked on a turkey call, when the prize popped his head up above the wall, you fired your single shot. 15 shots later, someone was lucky enough to take Tom's head off, and a new target was replaced. I recall a tin laundry tub full of ice cold soda's and Schmidts beer, and hot dogs cooked on a open fire nearby. There was no club house. Seems the trees were always in full color and just about everyone wore a red and black checkered Woolrich shirt. And as Dad called them, some "smart ass" always shot thru the cinder block wall, blowing Tom Turkey into a gazillion pieces, as well as the cinder blocks. That shooter was asked to leave if memory serves me correctly. I remember having a bloody nose from the 03-A3, and never hitting Tom, but such a fun day it was for a 10 year old. Ah yes, those were the days.

8. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Schmidt's beer, Woolrich, turkey shoots. Central Pennsylvania was the coolest place in the world in the 50's and 60's. What a great place to grow up. I remember going to card shoots with my Dad and Grandfather. Lot's of shenanigans at those things! Later on, I had a standard full choked Wingmaster that shot the tightest patterns. My older brother and I cleaned up with that thing at card shooting matches. We had to leave one in a hurry once. Some of the local good old boys got to drinking, and they were convinced we were cheating some how. We made it out of there by the skin of our teeth. Good times, country style!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
local turkey shoots in western pa
newportville rod & gun club
pa turkey shots
turkey shoots ebensburg

turkey shoots in pa

turkey shoots western pa