1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Live pigeon shoots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TOOLMAKER 251, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Pennsylvania.

2. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

By invitation only....don't ask. If they want you to be there, they will invite you. If you are not already with that crowd......good luck. Seems thats the way it has become and for good reason.

3. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Live bird shoots are legally held in many states. CA, AZ, NV, TX, LA, FL and on and on. Almost anywhere. There are some organiztions that like to protest and all that but the legal authority to shut down a shoot is not there as far as shooting the birds goes.
    If you're a regular shooter and people know you, you might get a response to your inquiries.
    Be careful what you ask for. If you do attend a shoot, be prepared to be sucked right into one of the most addictive shooting sports extant.

good luck

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

and bring LOTS of money!

Eric

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to finad a local shooter that attends flyer events and ask to get an invitation. Almost ALL flyer shoots are by invitation only.. Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have a friend that goes to these events around the South. He has told me with expenses he spends about $1000 per day at a two day shoot. And there are lots of pro's to contend with.

7. Chip Pitcairn

Chip Pitcairn TS Member

Shot410ga, your friend must not play the options.

8. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Three grand a day and you aren't in the poker game yet. Practice birds are $8 ... EACH. Truly the "Sport of Kings", you have to be a king to afford it or an amazingly good shot. The payouts can be lucrative. They used to be affiliated with the ATA! The ATA had a 25 straight flyers pin until about the mid-nineties or so.

It's shotgun cocaine ... once you shoot flyers your hooked. Glad I kicked the habit 25 years ago. My 401K would really be a 101K by now!

ZZ birds and Helice are close in difficulty and the animal rights folks don't care if you shoot plastic helicopter looking targets.

Bob

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

When bird prices hit $4 each I stayed home. So did many of us former shooters!!

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Pennsylvania is the only State left in the country that permits live pigeon shoots, at least until their House Bill 1411/Senate Bill 843 banning mechanical traps is passed.

MK

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Unknown, you don't know what you're talking about !!! That's the BS put out by PETA and USHS, Neither of which do a damn thing for animals or wildlife.

12. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bob Schultz, you may know even less than unknown, it's nothing like 3g a day!

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

In my area if you want to shoot pratice birds they will cost around $6 but at the end of a shoot you can get them for as low as $4.50 each.

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Yo John, I never mentioned your fathers name as a trap reader. I really didn't know your father so I couldn't possibly comment. Hell, I was a pretty good trap reader myself in the 60's!!

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Euro,

I guess I don't get my BS from the same sources you get yours!! We can't all be know-it-alls of your caliber.

MK

16. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Euro Joe,

When I quit shooting flyers, a long time ago. Going to a big shoot a and playing all the purses. (Why go if you don't shoot for the money?) Getting in the Calcutta and buying yourself or another shooter was close to $2000 a day by the time I added all the expenses. That was nearly 30 years ago. Things have not gotten cheaper since then so I figured another grand just to be safe!

One can attend little local shoots on one or two rings for a couple of hundred bucks, however I was referring to Malloy's, Guadalajara, or Reno. You could spend some real serious money at any one of these venues. However I recall Andy Folsom from Georgia winning $80,000.00 at one shoot, so the chances of winning something back were ok.

Bob

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I watched a shoot about a year ago and was able to watch a ten bird shoot between three guys on a $5000.00 bet. This was after the regular shoot and they all had to use 28 ga guns. Boy was this an education for me. I somehow doubt that three thousand a day was even close to what some of them were spending. Jackie B.

18. pigeonator

pigeonator TS Member

Maybe I can be of some help here regarding Live Pigeon Shoots. Yes they are expensive and yes they are not easy to find out about and get invited to unless you are in the so called flyer shooting loop. The days of the $1500.to$1800. per day shoots are just about gone. To answer some of your questions let me try my best. Is it illegal in some states yes. How much to shoot a regular 30 bird shoot. $450. Birds and options. Mexico, Europe,and other World type shoot only 1 bird per ring and it is usually 1 bird miss and out or 2 miss and out. American flyer shoot usually consist of 25 or 30 bird races 5 at a time in each ring. The larger shoots with the best flyer shooters usually have most of the options compulsory which makes for an expensive shoot entry fee. In my 40 years of flyer shooting I have never seen a pigeon shoot entry fee cost more than $1800. per day excluding the calcutta which is a seperate event from the daily entry fee. Pigeon shooting will always be an exclusive shooting sport for the simple fact that it will humble a majority of the shotgun shooting world who think they can point and shoot a shotgun.

19. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

1.) are these bets that are placed, legally "sanctioned", e.g. winnings get reported to the IRS? I would like to get involved in this sport but if the bets are not of a "legal" standing, I don't want to be caught up in any illegal gambling busts LOL

2.) what's a good book on pigeon shooting? I had asked about piegeon shooting on another website and someone recommended Advanced Competition Shotgunning as being a very good book, with a section devoted to this particular discipline.

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have shot pigeons at Ryans and Kingen gun clubs years ago, and by invitation only and here in Ohio, won't name the club by invitation only. You are on a lost and you have to show Picture ID to get in the gate.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
live bird pigeon shoots
live bird shoots
live pigeon shooting

live pigeon shooting competition

live pigeon shooting competitions

live pigeon shoots in texas

pigeon shooting competition