1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Live Pigeon Ring

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Utahx5, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Utahx5

Utahx5 TS Member

If you're serious about laying out a a ring for boxed birds go pick up a copy of "Advanced Competition Shotgunning" by Forehand. He includes a chapter entitled Box Birds (pg 109) that shows the dimensions of a 5 box bird ring.

2. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

this is a helice layout, very simular

3. Utahx5

Utahx5 TS Member

Similar, but not exact. Can you imagine "optional fencing" bwah hahahahahaha!

4. webley

webley TS Member

Buckeye,
    Sadly I've only had an 'armchair' interest in that game (so far anyway) - but from what I know:

For a typical ring to FITASC rules the shooters stand 24 to 31 meters from the birds depending on handicap etc. The 5 traps are spaced 5 meters apart in an arc. The fence is 16 meters from the traps. The shape of the ring is not circular bearing in mind the arc of the 5 traps & the defined distance to the fence.

I'm sure many rings differ to some degree from these dimensions.

The best book (only book?) to look at is Advanced Competition Shotgunning by Michael Ray Forehand ISBN 0-9702938-0-1 printed in 2000

Should you ever build a ring - an invite to your first shoot would be most appreciated!!! <G> (well there's no harm asking!)

Regards
    Russell

5. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

I been to pigeon shoots that had the "optional fencing". There is and was not anything that was exact. In the early times rings were layed out to the benifit of the local shooter for his advantage.

Scott

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I heard from some 'Ol-timers, that some of those trap kids got paid very well, if they chased that bird down before it left the ring.

7. webley

webley TS Member

Slugger,
    I think your memory is just fine - the number of traps used in some rings can vary between five & nine (I've not heard of more than nine).

The FITASC rules define just a 5 trap ring but I'd guess that many of the rings that have been built for more local events (in the USA in particular) have had all sorts of variations in size etc.

That's very nice setup at the Perazzi factory but being in Italy it's just for ZZ (in Spain it would be a differnet matter).

On a general note - the late Don Whittaker wrote a few articles regarding his pigeon shooting experiences which were published in the US published 'Double Gun Journal' a few years ago; they are well worth reading.

Regards
    Russell

8. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I don't have the expertiese to add to this thread but I did attend the last public live pigeon shoot held in Illinois. I was 9 or 10 and it was back in the late 59 or 1960 could have been in 61 I don't remember all the details. I know that it cost more to enter than my dad brought home in a week. He did'nt shoot and from what I saw I thought he could have won it. There were five small traps that held the birds and only one at a time were let go. The bird had to fall in between the fenses for a dead bird. There were bird boxes by the hundred off to the side. The trap boys would replenish about every third shooter. I remember asking why not every time but don't remember the answer given me. I do remember having a gentelman with a loaded over and under in the crook of his arm shoot the ground not 6 foot from me and the gun shot twice in the dirt. The trigger caught in his coat sleeve and set it off. Scared the hell out of all of us as there were about two hundred men within 75 foot of him. There were also people with informational picket signs at the entry to the club and there were piles of dead pigeons that would take a semi trailor to haul away. The shoot lasted for a longer time than my dad had patience for as we left after three or four hours. One of his acquaintences won as I recall and it was a swell payoff cause I think Jake said he bought a car with his winnings. Sure would like to have one of those Sundays with my Dad back. Dan

9. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

The fences for a helice ring are larger than a pigeon ring. The total spread distance for the boxes is 60 ft. The distance from the end boxes straight out to the left and right and to the back fence is 17.5 yds. I used to build these layouts and the equipment years ago and still have the prints for the layout. If you layout the Helice ring at 23.84 yds you will score more birds in the ring but you will have a rude awakening if you shoot the game at a regular shoot at other clubs. I had the blue prints but about a month ago we did spring cleaning and I threw out all the info. Sorry.

Dennis DeVault

10. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Slugger I was talking about "Public" live pigeon shoots. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
box pigeon shooting
boxed bird shoot competition

boxed bird shooting rules

live pigeon shooting rules

pigeon ring shooting