1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Live Pigeon Gun versus Pigeon Grade

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Just wonder what the difference is between a Live Pigeon gun and a Pigeon grade gun is? I think there the same thing just worded differntly to define a high grade gun, fancy wodd, carving and engraving am I on track?

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

pigeon grade is just fancy wood and engraving, you can have a pigeon grade skeet, trap, or field gun, and in single shots, pumps, over/unders, side by sides, and probably semi-autos.

A live pigeon gun is designed specifically for shooting live pigeons (aka "flyers"), its usually very similar to a trap gun with long barrels and tight chokes, tighter than your average trap doubles gun (over/unders are sometimes choked XF on the top and screw choke on the bottom), and are always over/unders or side by sides (for serious shooters). The don't necessarily have to be high grade, but many are (high grade Krieghoffs, Perazzis, and Fabbris were @ seen @ the flyer shoot I attended a couple years ago, the lowest non-standard grade gun I saw there was pretty equivalent to the highest high grade gun I usually see at clay target shoots (Fabbri's run around 60k for lowest grade).

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

A Pigeon GUN is made to shoot live Pigeons and most have a very full choke . A Pigeon Grade is just an upgrade or fancy grade of gun can be a trap gun or any other gun .

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Two completely different animals. Pigeon Grade was a Winchester term for a finely honed and polished action on its guns.They had a little fancier wood , different checkering patterns and a pigeon generally but not always engraved on them. Engraving and carved wood was extra.
    A live pigoen gun is generally choked Extra tight on the second shot, the first shot choked for the type of ring and game which varies from 5 to 15 boxes or hand thrown Live birds. Jeff

5. Bruce Specht

I thought there was a possibility that a live pigeon gun was differnt from a pigeon grade but wasn't sure, what you guys have posted makes sense. I've seen both own a pigeon grade and the wood, carving and the engraving are fantastic on both as for the chokes, both were marked full or trap full so I thought maybe the mean the same thing.

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Bruce You could have a Pigeon Grade Pigeon Gun ???

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

One more thing..........I don't think you can shoot dead pigeons with a "live pigeon gun"...........lol lol............Yep, has to be in the rules... ;)

Hauxfan!

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

No matter where in the ring or how dead , it is getting the second barrel -WFO ! LOL

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I used to shoot live pigeons with a Model 12 w/release trigger, done real well with it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

On older guns, where the stock dimensions were usually for people whose cheek bones were down by their lower jaw bone, a pigeon gun generally had a higher comb for finding and hitting raising birds.

A friend brought his Daley Linder SxS to the range a week ago. Highest comb I have seen on these type of guns with the original stock. Choked .40 and .40. We shot skeet with it and it just obliterated targets...lot of fun.

Cheers

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

bigbore613- It is wise to shoot the dead birds with the second shot. Birds can be resurrected from the dead.

Pat Ireland

12. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

ALWAYS a good idea to use the second barrel.

In 1960, George Best was the PA State Champion. In the mid 70's we didn't have the "must fire two" rule. One shoot I was going along pretty good, had the first 10, and was getting ready to start the last 15. George asked me why I hadn't shot the second barrel on EVERY bird. I told him because I knew the bird was dead on the first shot.

I never forgot what he told me. " Son, you paid for both shells in the gun. You OWN them, they are yours to do with what you like.

"Shoot BOTH barrels no matter what you THINK the bird is." I have received a lot of advice about pigeons over the years. His is the one that really stuck.

AJ100

13. Bwanar

Bwanar TS Member

Not to derail but since we are getting an education here, how long must the pigeon remain in the ring before he is ruled dead?

14. skeet_man

When i shot, it was until the bird boy put it in the box he had. If the bird was wounded, and the bird boy went to pick it up and it flopped around and managed to get over the fence, it was a lost bird. It was bad weather the day I went, about 20 degrees with a 20-30 mph crosswind left to right, so if you got the bird on the far right, even if you stoned it, chances are it wasn't going to stay in, and a couple times I saw a bird from the left fly w/ the wind, hit the ground dead, and because it had so much momentum, hit the ground inside the ring dead, but bounced out for a "lost"

15. I WON

I WON TS Member

No release triggers in this game.

16. skeet_man

i won- i thought release/pull was somewhat popular, simply for the fact that it is the fastest way to fire off both shots (assuming you connect on the first barrel) because your finger only has to let go and pull again to fire both barrels?

17. Bruce Specht

I guess the next question is how do pigeons taste? The bird not the gun!!! If shoot them twice can't be much left to eat!! Real men would take the heads off with the first shot pluck the bird with the second

18. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

With all the poison some of these cities use to kill these flying rats I wouldn't eat one if you paid me.

It might not have killed THAT pigeon but I don't know what it's parents passed on to it when it was born.

I think I'll just let the guys bury them.

iwon, one of the fastest I ever saw shot a release/pull. Killed his share over the years. You are correct though, you don't see many.

Steve W, +1, one of the toughest, a SOB driver out the back. I've hit them with the Fed P154's and they still made it.

skeetman, been there done that. How about this one. I know a lot of stories start with, "Once Apon a Time", kinda the same as, "Hey guys this is no sh*t", but this is the honest to God truth.

My buddy is in ring two. Fourth bird, he hits it with the first barrel and slows it down. He gives it the second barrel but catches it in the ass. The thing starts to fly a loop inside the ring, just hugging the inside of the fence. It goes past him once. Then it goes past him a second time. Now he's standing there with an empty gun mind you. It's almost like this thing is doing the old, in your face routine. When this pigeon makes the third pass we are all laughing and giving him the needle. He could have stuck the barrels on his MX8 out and smacked the thing. As this pigeon passes him up for the third time one of the bird boys says, "Hey mister, I can catch that pigeon for you if you want." This kid looks all of 12.

Yea, right, he tells the kid. "No really mister, I can catch him for you if you want me to." We all yelled to let the kid try it. Nothing to lose, this bird was NOT going to die in that ring. This blonde hair little kid walked very slowly up to the marker where my buddy was standing. He was just inside the ring area. He just stood there watching this pigeon come around in a clockwise direction. As the pigeon got even with the traps he raised his arm to shoulder level and waited.

Now we are all being very quiet. There had to be 10-15 guys standing back watching this. Some of us have money riding on this. OK, most of us have money riding on it. Some on the kid, some on the bird. It was about 80% to 20%, for the bird.

As that pigeon got even with this kid, NO SH*T, it was like the kids arm was a friggin cobra. He grabbed that thing out of mid air so quick you had to blink, look again, and say WTF? One guy spit coffee all over the guy he was standing next to. Had that sucker by the neck. The kid just smiled at my buddy and said, "see, mister, I told ya I could do it." We didn't even have to tell him to pay the kid. The $20 was out of his pocket the second the kid made a move at that pigeon. Like I said, been there done that.

Long story but what else are you going to do on this kind of night? 10 degrees out there tonight again. Global warming my ass.

AJ100

19. skeet_man

aj- cool story, thanks for sharing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
differance between a trap and live bird gun

fabbri live bird gun

live pigeon gun

live pigeon guns