1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Live Pigeon gun build

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Boxbirder, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

I am going to have a Perazzi built for live pigeons. I am leaning towards 31" barrels with a tight bore. Don't know if I should go for a slightly backbored barrel say .735 The stock is the thing that really has me stumped, right now I shoot a Winchester 21 trap gun with 30" vent rib, now this gun has a parallel Monte Carlo stock. I don't know if I should get an adjustable stock. I am going for a fitting this week now supposed I don't like what is specked out for me or should I just go with the dimensions from the 21.

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I guess that would depend on how comfortable you are with the 21? It's such an individual thing it is tough to advise. Thw trend has been toward longer barrels but chasing a bird around teh ring with long barrels isn't for everyone.

Stock fitters are great but just because it fits you doesn's mean it shoots where you look. I am into function and an adjustable comb and an adjustable but it where I would start out, get the new gun shooting exactly where you want and have a stock built from there.

I would do this with any gun I was having a stock built for. Jeff

3. Guy

Guy Member

Get a gun first......with the adjustable stock.....like you say, you can have a stock made later. 29 1/2" or 30" barrels....light weight, like Kg.1.500, choked .25 and .40....backbore doesn't matter except to reduce weight, tramline rib, no side ribs.

littlegambler had one built like this.....maybe he'll see this.....what was the barrel weight of your new gun, Rick?

I think you need a very high shooting gun....Realize that raising the comb 1/4" does not make that much difference at pigeon ring distances. Mechanical, coil spring trigger....no choke tubes. You must eliminate all areas of possible function issues.....one bird can mean alot.....so have a stock made as soon as possible.....offset, parallel comb, large palmswell, schnable.

You're good to go.

4. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

what are the rules on a pigeon shoot -- at what distance do the birds come up and what size is the circle that you have to shoot them in.I assume you can shoot twice and must drop the bird before it gets out of the circle.

and I wouldm say if you do not trust the gun fitter then save the money.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I think you have to know your shooting style. Trapshooters I have seen tend
    to shoot as fast as they can with a high shooting gun, trying to nail the bird as soon as it appears. But I have seen some great shooter, especially a couple of All American sporting clays shooters who shall remain nameless, that shoot a more deliberate style with their flat shooting sporting clays gun.
    Fewer misses, but more that land outside the ring.

6. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Thanks for the kind words Guy! Here are the stats on my gun: .724-.725 bores .032" - .042" true 30" barrels stamped at 1.440 k.g. actual weight is 1.420 k.g. Luchio built the gun, and I had the original stock that he had made dupicated by Stocker John in OR. Gun is very lightweight and moves unlike any other. If your serious about ordering a new gun, pm me.

[​IMG]

7. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i think you should call jerry diggs in missouri--there's a guy who knows how to set up a pigeon gun!! he and son david can really shoot live birds---if you want his phone # pm me--wally riebesell

8. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

A very good shooter from Nebraska also used an 1100

9. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

Ken Eyster set my 21 up. I guess the old girl is getting tired after 15 years or so of hard use. I use that gun of just about everything. I have a practive ring that I shoot charcoal brickettes and of course flyers. This gun will be ordered in the next 10 days.

10. Guy

Guy Member

I think Perazzi weighs their barrels before chokes are cut, or tubes installed.....so plain barrels weigh less after chokes are cut, and choke tube barrels weigh more than stamping. Ya think?

About the M21 stock dimensions.....reminds me about 20 years ago I decided to have a Ljutic built....I went north and shot a try gun with Al for 3 days at a shoot.....half way through the second day I'm worried....I made the trip, was going to spend some money.....and the gun was beatin' my brains out.....I had set the gun up exactly the same as the gun I had been shooting.....Al says "It's too short, add 5/8".....needless to say, it smoothed right out.....so I guess the point is that to some extent, I don't think you can just transfer measurements and get the same results.....but then again, I don't know nuthin'.

11. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

The best pigeon shot I ever saw shot a Model 21. He shot so fast that there were two puffs of feathers a second or less apart.

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

You may want to talk to Tom Smith on the wood. He shoots the game, and you may even know him. I think the big decision would be barrel length and weight. Bores....tight or choke tubes.

13. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

with barrels so light, and I assume, the overall gun being light, how do you stay in the gun after the first shot? Don't those pigeon loads pack a wallop in a light gun?

14. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

little gambler, THAT is a beautiful gun.

15. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

MX 14 with 29 1/2" barrels are hard to beat, have one without side ribs and it has a Simmons rib, really fast..

16. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

Don't those pigeon loads pack a wallop in a light gun?

You don't need those TNT loads to shoot pigeons. Back in the day I loved the AA Super Pigeons, I never understood how some guys shot 3 3/4dr loads. Most of my shooting has been done with Super Handicap for the first shot then Followed up with B&P pigeon load. I noticed there not selling them anymore on there site. Oh well.

17. bdshooter

bdshooter Member

A good pigeon gun,is one that shoot where you look and moves well. I have shot the same gun for many years and it has served me well. Ask Little Gambler, it is a MX3 with 29 1/2 in barrel 725 bores choked .24/.36 and shoots where I look. I have a little higher stock on the the gun, so it shoots a little high, so you see the bird, and not have to cover it up and not lose sight of the bird. Good luck it you. Mark

18. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Box, how do you throw the charcoal briquets? Do you have to walk out to the trap to load them individually or do you have several traps? It sounds like a great system.

19. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

I have Barnaby traps set up at friends place, I get my god daughter to load em up and work the buttons. Pays good but as she gets older she wants to hang with her friends, tweak the traps for different heights on the throw. Soda cans work good also.

I had a nice chat this morning with "Little G" boy the pigeon world is small.

20. Guy

Guy Member

B&P still makes a pigeon load....it's called Star Rosa.....they're out of 7 1/2's until May. Bornaghi is making shells again.....3 1/4 dr. 1 1/4 oz. papers....soft.

I've had my stocks built large and heavy....they suck up recoil.....you need light barrels because sometimes you need to move right, then left, then right again.....they need to move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
barnabee flyer trap
barnaby flyer traps

barnby pigeon ring diemensions

live bird box ring for pigeon shoots

live pigeon guns

perazzi pigeon gun build

pigeon gun dimensions
winchester21trap