1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Live Bird Shooting not very popular on CA gun ...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ysr_racer, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Live Bird Shooting not very popular on CA gun board.

Click the link above to see what shooters think about about it.

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

it seems like it's a toss up between posters who think nothing of it and those that are against it. About 50/50 split. You will find that, more or less, in any other state. For me, I don't have a warm fuzzy place in my heart for pigeons so I could care less if people shoot them for sport without eating them.

I am actually interested in trying out a live pigeon shoot this year. A good excuse to buy a new gun LOL.

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

As a retired field trialer, pigeons were put on earth for dog training. Fred

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is the most challenging shooting sport and a lot of money can change hands. It gives one a special feeling knowing that if he kills the next bird, he will win several thousand dollars. Relatively few shooters have shot fliers but is seems that all shooters have opinions of the sport even if they know nothing about it.

Pat Ireland

5. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

shooters cocaine

6. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Do any of you think a shooter who tries out pigeon shooting for the first time is going to "get all of his birds" within the 17 yard circle? If he is either that good or that lucky, I would be willing to pay his way into a live bird shoot and buy him in the auction.

John E.

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I raise pigeons for dog training so I have mixed feelings. When you observe them in their big pen daily like I do one sees that there is a regular culture and society taking place just like human society with all the same parameters. Love, hate, envy, childrearing, greed, sharing, it's all there. On the other hand, as one guy I know says, a pigeon is a death looking for a place to happen. I'd like to see the wounded birds dispatched but other than that I have no problem with it.

8. cleboje

cleboje Member

What exactly can a pigeon share???

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Do not city pigeons carry all kinds of disease? Might as well use city pigeons for targets rather than poison them with cumadin.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

California? Hahaha!!

Curt

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The pigeons are flying a few miles north of me noticed them Sunday coming back from sporting clay shooting. I like shooting pigeons, barn pigeons, farmers want them gone also.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I shoot flyers, both for fun and for money, started about fifty years ago. I respect the skill of those who do well in flyer competition. However, I would be the first to admit that, on any given day, a good shooter, new to the game, can do very well. I have done it and have seen others do it. It surprises the heck out of the experts who snicker at their friends who have lost to the new guy.

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Who cares what California thinks. If you allow them to expand their numbers in an area where there is livestock, Pigeons will cause disease among domestic animals. They are great for training hunting dogs, and thats about it!

14. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Rats and mice disgust folks and they are considered dirty,digusting and carry disease but adore pretty little pigeons in the park and go so far as to feed them. Only in America!!!!!!!!

15. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

hmmmm...
    Maybe enlarge the ring, 5 small huts lined up out in the middle....
    "Trapper Ready"...???
    "Ready..."
    "Pull..!!!"...

One hut door opens, and a Californian takes off for the fence....

hmmmmm.....

16. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Are there any videos of flyer shoots floating around out there?

17. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

" Are there any videos of flyer shoots floating around out there?"

I would hope not. I was told this shooting community is a close knit group. You don't want PETA going in undercover as Joe Blow off the street with a hidden camera.

I bought the book, Advanced Competition Shotgunning. They have a section on pigeon shooting. Very good book.

18. BMC

BMC Member

That's a negative Chango, they dont' carry diseases, at least none that will affect you or me. That was a spin the pest control agencies started to drum up business.

19. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Pigeons are only good for one thing----TARGETS!

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Live pigeon shooting in the US is an underground sport. Unfortunately, it needs to stay that way. Have fun but keep it on the "down low."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.