1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Live bird problem ########

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jerbear, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Hay Gang, I have a problem with a Robin hanging out on my BBQ under my awning. I have reflective film on my sun porch and he seems to see his reflection and peck at the door. I have tried rubber snakes, he still comes back. If it were not the state bird of Michigan, it would be gone. Does anyone know what might scare this thing off? I have a birthday party for my 2 boys on Saturday and have to keep cleaning up bird sh!t on and around the BBQ every day. When he pecks at the door, he scatters bird sh!t all over the door as well.

Thanks for your help and no shooting it with #8's is not an option. hahaha...

Jerbear

2. atraphead

atraphead Member

Red Tail Hawk. LLL

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

#9's......???

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Borrow Trons kitty.

He doesnt live very far away.

Regards....Gerald

5. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Why is the BBQ so close to the window that he can sit on it and peck at the glass while he shats all over it?

Move the BBQ and give him nothing to be able to sit on to peck your glass ... seems like a simple fix.

6. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

We have a similar problem at the Starkville Gun Club in Mississippi. We have had a resident family of Blue Birds for about three years now that light on the car mirrors and peck at themselves and leave their mark all over the car---don't leave the window down or you might have a gift on the seats and steering wheel. I left a gun case open once and I don't have to tell the rest.
    They nest in the corner of one of the trap houses and we enjoy the company but not the gifts they leave.

7. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

You could also fire up the BBQ first thing in the morning and leave it roastingly hot all day long ... this will change his behavior and he will sooner or later stop wanting to sit on the BBQ.

Why not also just get a big ole net and catch the dang bird and take it way way out in the country to the next state where ya can blast the heck out of with #8's and not worry about it being the state flying ratbird?

8. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Jerbear, if the bird is spreading sh!t all over the door when he pecks at it, he isn't using the right pecking tool. Have him turn around and peck with the other end. Result: No more sh!t on the door.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Maybe a trip to Iowa and get married???

Curt

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you try talking to the bird. Maybe he doesn't understand the ramifications of his actions. I'm sure you can have an intelligent conversation with him and come to a compromise. HMB

11. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

A gray or a yellow cat. They make the best hunters. Kim

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use an empty hull with a primer, when he comes fire it off. after a couple times he will find a new place. They hate loud noises

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

You guys are too funny.... I put up a blue tarp at the door so he might leave because he can't see his reflection. We will see if this works. If I knew there were no young, I would try to net it and take it to a large park and release it. I can't verify that there are no young ones around. As for the BBQ too close to the door, it is under an awning and permanently in the ground. I BBQ all year round, as it's only a step out the sun porch door. Nothing like a nice BBQ T-Bone in the middle of winter to take away the blues....

We will see..... Jerbear

14. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Put a picture of Obama on the door.....no wait, that will bring a bunch of other birds looking for free food and shelter....sorry, forget that idea.

Jim C

15. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Maybe this one..... <a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/potus/?action=view&current=Firearmssalesmanoftheyear.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

16. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Put moth balls out near where he sits. These will also keep away cats and rabbits

17. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Just kill the dang flying sky rat and be done with it and if anyone asks what you have done just tell them it tasted like chicken.

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Hang an old cd on some fishing line when the wind blows it the light reflecting off of it will scare it away

19. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

As you've decided, all you need to do is to stop the bird from seeing its reflection and it will leave.

The macadam in my parking space at work has 4 islands of bird poo on it that correspond to the position of the tires of my Edge where I park. All day long, birds attack their reflections that they see in the flat chrome spokes of the wheels. They'll quite in a couple months.

Carol Lister

20. Robb

Robb Member

Had the same last year with a cardinal. He had blood all over my door from pecking. Tried everything finally had to use gun. Hated it but out of options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.