1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Live and Learn, UPS variety

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Wahoo, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

I've shipped a lot of gun-related items and non-gun related items via UPS with no problems but today I ran into something that has me stumped. I had a large, 30" X 24" box containing a gift for my 2-year old grandson in Atlanta (I live in Viginia). I had to pack it in an oversize (for the gift) box. Complete with packaging the package weighed 10.74 pounds at UPS. It was shipped normal ground delivery with no additional value charge and they charged me $22.17 plus fuel surcharge. I was stunned and asked why the enormous charge when I have shipped much heavier packages for a lot less. The clerk said it was because of the size of the box. I tried UPS' website for an explanation but could get nothing but a computer-generated answer that was worthless as usual. If anyone who sends many packages by UPS has had this experience, I would appreciate your explaining why UPS charged so much for a 10.47 pound package. It says on the receipt "39.0 billable" which I do not understand either but apparently it has something to do with the charges. Thanks for any enlightenment on this item.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I use USPS for smaller parcels, but generally use Fed Ex for my shipping needs. I have had quite a bit of service with UPS, most of it less than stellar.

Getting an account with them is free and gives you a discount and quicker service at the terminal. I never use a kiosk at another store.

3. Laudygirl

Laudygirl TS Member

Calculating Dimensional Weight for Domestic Shipments

Determine the Actual Weight: Use any standard scale and round up any fraction of a pound to the next full pound.

Determine Dimensional Weight:

For UPS Ground Shipments: If the cubic size of the package is 5,184 or larger, divide the cubic size by 194 to determine dimensional weight in pounds. If the cubic size is less than 5,184, use the actual weight of the package.
    For UPS Air Shipments: Divide the cubic size by 194 to determine dimensional weight in pounds. Any fraction of a pound will be calculated at the next highest rate.

Determine Billable Weight: Compare each package's actual weight to its dimensional weight. The larger of the two weights is the billable weight and should be used to calculate the rate.

If you have a multiple-package shipment, add the cubic sizes for all of the packages together. The total is the cubic size of your shipment.

Large Package Conditions

Your UPS domestic or UPS Standard to Canada package is considered a Large Package when its length, combined with twice the width plus twice the height, exceeds 130 inches and is equal to or less than 165 inches.

Large Packages are subject to a minimum billable weight of 90 pounds.
    To determine the rate for single-package shipments with a dimensional weight of 150 pounds or more, multiply the package weight by the price per pound multiplier.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I do not consider UPS as a company to use and have not for years. They pretty much suck.

5. jimx200

jimx200 Member

It really pays to shop around on shipping charges: I recently sold a road bike to a guy in Washington State shipped from Sacramento. Bike boxes are pretty big and the total weight came to 33 lbs. First stopped by my local UPS Store, cost was $102. Seems high, so I went to another FedEx/Kinkos store and was quoted $46. And I finally drove it to a FedEx company direct store and guy says $16.50 with his generous employee discount. He said he routinely gives these discounts to customers as the regular cost is usually $28...wow, what a difference! Bottom line is if you have a somewhat heavy package or large package (long guns?), go directly to a FedEx facility and ask for a discount as they have numerous one's they can apply.

6. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

UPS, FedEx and USPS will all charge extra for large packages.

UPS: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/dim_weight.html<br>
    <br>
    FedEx: "When the dimensional weight of a shipment exceeds the actual weight, shipping charges are based on the shipment's dimensional weight. You can use the FedEx Measurement Tools to calculate your dimensional weight." <br>http://www.fedex.com/us/quick_help/grtt.html<br>
    <br>
    USPS: http://www.usps.com/prices/first-class-mail-prices.htm <br>
    "No more than 108 inches in combined length and girth."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.