1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Littleton Shot Maker

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bawana, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I know a guy who has one and he loves it. I have seen his shot and it looks fine. I was told if you get one to get one that is 220 volt. It works better then a 110 volt.

2. 333t

333t Member

They can make good shot but there is a learning process involved. There are many variables to deal with as to how the machine is set up with tanks, coolant, and so forth. Don't expect perfect shot the first time. There is also quite a bit of handling with cleaning up the wheel weights, making the shot, rinsing, drying, applying graphite, etc. It is fun however, to shoot a good score with your own shot.

Phil

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If you guys had to take a guess, how many minutes/hours does it take to create 25 lbs of shot from dirty wheel weights to something you can put in the reloader?

Ian

4. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

If you are worried about the time it takes. You probably wont do it. I just got one this summer. Never seen it done. Or even knew anyone that did it before. Only tips I got were from TS.com folks. I probably made 600 pounds or so this summer. It would take a few hours to set up, make shot and clean up for about 40 lbs at a time.

The coolant would get too warm and I would have to quit. Which was fine because I was ready to quit any ways.

It is pretty cool to shoot a straight with your own shot, in your own reloads. But it isnt a timesaver. Just another part of shooting, reloading.

There are a few tricks to learn. But when you screw up you just remelt, and reuse your mistakes.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about it but being a paranoid I would be nervous about handling lead and fumes etc. I guess birds get lead poisoning from eating lead shot and grinding it to pieces with a gizzard but what do you guys know about health hazards from the Littleton Shot Maker??

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

The greatest health hazard from making shot is getting burned. Little burns on the hand are common but it is possible to have a serious accident. The second most serious health hazard is slipping on the coolant if you make shot on a concrete floor like I used to do. Ingestion or inhalation of lead is far less dangerous than getting burned of slipping. Of course it is possible to slip on the slick oil I used and fall on the operating shotmaker and combine to two greatest dangers.

For me, making shot was messy, dirty, smelly, time consuming and great fun. I gave it up several years ago.

Pat Ireland

7. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I guess everyone is aware of the hazards of exposure to lead, but I found this interesting. My father attended his college alumni reunion last month. He and the other attendees are in their mid 70's and almost all of their parents have passed on. Dad's roommate was originally from Alton Illinois and his roommate's father worked for Olin in the shot tower. Apparently the years of shotmaking had little affect on the old gentleman's health, he died last summer at the age of 102 from a heart attack.

8. TC

TC TS Member

Pat/Joe/24's, how do you prevent the white oxidation on the shot when drying? Tony

9. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

The dirty part is melting the wheel weights into clean ingots, after that if your careful and neat its simply a matter of learning the tricks to makeing good shot. It usally takes me about five hours to melt the weights into ingots about four hundred lbs.Then I make about three hundred and fifty lbs. of shot in eight hrs.then it;s sized and any junk is removed by running it through a sifter after that it must be dryed and bagged, I sometimes add powderd graphite though it doesn;t seem to make a differnce with or without.So if you got some time on your hands you can make some pretty good fair priced shot and have some fun doing it. Good Luck

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that with the later models you could dispense with the ingot process and simply melt the wheel weights, picking out the clips with a magnet. then apparently using a wood paddle to skim the crud.

Anyone out there know this, or is everyone making ingots?

HM

11. sierraone

sierraone TS Member

I have one. 110 volt, 7 1/2 drippers. No tank or basket. Will sell for $100.00 plus shpping.

12. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

TC, I havent done anything special at all to stop oxidation. Havent had the problem. Maybe the coolant I used has something to with that. Purex laundry detergent. Maybe how well I rinsed it off had something to do with that??? Used graphite with the first batch I made. That made more of a mess than I ever hope to see again. Not doing that again.

halfmile, I have found that if you do make the ingots and clean up the lead you make better quality, more consistantly round shot. I only use my home made shot for practice, so I dont feel this step is necessary. My shot works great at 16 yards and handicap to 23 yards or so. If I were using it for competition I would clean it up, make the ingots. For what i use it for, it's a redundant, un-needed step.

I get a big kick out using my own shot. It's fun to make and use.

13. IM390

IM390 Member

Actually no one has ever proved any birds have ever been poisoned by eating lead shot. We were all screwed by the environmentalist wackos on steel shot, but that is another story.

Lead can be dangerous, but it is not as bad an many people think.

The stanard precautions are: Cast outside like in a garage that has plenty of air circulation. Wear old long pants and shirts; you'll be working with 700 degree metal which doesn't like water or humidity. Don't eat, drink or smoke while handling lead. When you are all done and all cleaned up change your clothes and wash any exposed skin(face and hands) with plenty of soap and water. (Working surfaces can also be washed with powdered clothes detergent if used for other projects, but never use utensils for casting for any other purpose than with your lead.)

Lead needs to be combined with something else, which makes the compound soluble for our bodies to absorb through inhaling or swallowing. Lead oxide can be an odorless gas given off while melting lead. It can also be a white dust that will cling to everything in amounts you won't notice. Casting shot, bullets and fishing lures can be a lot of fun and safe if you use some common sense.

14. shot maker for dad

shot maker for dad TS Member

Dose any one have one for sale for $180 or less???????????

15. richrob

richrob TS Member

Sierraone - I sent you an email, I will take your shotmaker. -Rich

16. chipking

chipking TS Member

I also sent an e-mail stating I would buy the shotmaker. Guess we'll just have to see how it plays out.
    --- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

littleton shot maker shot how does it shoot