1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Littleton shot maker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jrbuete, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrbuete

jrbuete TS Member

Anyone have experience with the Littleton shot maker? Any other shot makers??? Thanks!

2. Kenny Helderlein

Kenny Helderlein Member

Hi jr,
    I had and used a Littleton for a year or so and it move from one member
    of our club to another. Three of us collected 1000 pounds of lead, wheel weights, flashing, any place we could find it. We cleaned and pored two
    pound ingots. We set up in my garage, outside wind and temperature
    interfered with process. After a few different coolant changes we ended up
    using a water soluble machine cutting oil. We build a holding tank 24” deep
    and dropped the shot 12” before it hit the coolant. Preheat the ingots to keep the flow going and try to run 100 pound lots. The oil keeps the shot from oxidizing so you don’t have to use graphite to coat. We just spread
    the shot out on a drop clothe and let the sun dry it. This was back when shot was $60.00 a 100. We kept track of our expenses and it came out to about 1/3 the cost of new. Also it was a fun project.
    Good luck if you get one.
    Kenny

3. plinker611

plinker611 Member

jim stewarts uses a cast iron ladel(pot),holds heat better than the aluminum ladel,and his service before and after the sale can NOT be beat by burgess(litteltons dealer). i have run over 5 ton of shot over the last 5 yrs on jims equipment,working on buying my 3rd unit from him(sold my last 2 setups,building a bigger set up,money talks)and wouldnt think about changing shotmakers,black max all the way,runs 80-100 lbs/hr,mark jones

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Before you think about making your own shot ask yourself this question..."where am I going to get the correct lead for making shot?" It is not as simple as it once was. The current production wheel weights will not work. They are near impossible to melt and make ingots not to mention the fact that they will gum your nozzles before you have dropped 2 pounds of shot. Without a continuous source for OLD wheel weights or comparable lead you are wasting your time acquiring a shot dropper regardless of brand. You are welcome to call me for the full story. Rick ... Texas 979-716-1948

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Go with the Jim Stewart 220 unit. I have a littleton and I wish I bought the JS 220 unit.

6. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Stewart all the way!!!!!!!!!!!! I ran over 1500 pound this year of good stuff and bout 500 junk before that to figure it all out for sure. BUT with the Stewart machine heats and stays heated best.

Like the other guys said tho Dont buy the machine intil you know you have a supply of lead I spent all spring and summer getting mine and only have 2000pds stored away.

Jerry Lewis

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I just made about 130lbs. yesterday. I use a Stewart unit with double drippers. The lead was all junk, from many sources. Some was from a chunk off a keel, some was used stained glass lead, battery terminals, wheel weights, fishing weight, etc. It all worked fine. Just don't use the flat adhesive backed wheel weights. They will plug the drippers up, and many have zinc in them. Which will really ruin a pot of lead. If your pot of melted lead shows a top sheen of gold, brown, purple, or violet----trash the pot, It has been contaminated by Zinc. Making lead shot is an art, that has a learning curve. Believe me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

littleton lead shot

littleton lead shot maker

used littleton ladel