1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Little Used Championships

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brad Dysinger, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

The first time I shot trap I saw that you had two basic groups of shooters, those with talent and those with money who wanted talent but couldn't buy it. The first group shot old Model 12's and 1100's, drank beer, shot old reloads, drove pick up trucks with pan top campers, the second shot Brownings, 5E's, Mono guns. They had fancy cars, clothes, and motor homes but seldom beat the model 12 guys.

The Motor Home crowd brought us the bank system at the grand, no walking the trap line for them, they wanted parking spots for their motor homes so away with the pick up parking for the Model 12 guys at Vandalia. To the end of the line for them, they could walk, Larger camping spaces for larger motor homes, but still they just didn't have the talent, so they demanded narrower angles, shorter targets, 10 to a post, all 100 on one trap. A trophy to win, no matter what.

Now the latest with the new catagories and the trophies for everyone that is the ATA's mentality of today I got to thinking, if the talentless can't buy talent and don't care what kind of ribbon they win why shouldn't I take this chain of events to it's obvious next step, I'll just put up for acution not only one of my trophies but I'll even acution off the title to go with it.

I have a 1978 North American Clay Target Championship that I have hardly ever used. I never wanted to be known as a singles shooter anyhow. I've always been a handicap man (my model 12 upbringing). Just think if you bid enough you could see your name (on what ever passes as trap shooting history in the future) as a Grand American Champ.

As old as the average ATA member is who will be around in a few years anyhow to know how you got it, and obviously no will care because I'm willingly giving it to the highest bidder, just like the 2 yard reduction passed out by the EC you won't even have to get kicked by actually shooting to win.

Think of it, place your bids, and if the auction goes well I've got a few more items you might be interested in so stay tuned. Brad Dysinger

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Brad, you've been around too long like me-we're fossils. You're preaching to those with no knowledge of Trapshootings history. These newer shooters would much prefer 45 yd. straightaways and pink ribbons with plastic guns attached for any score above 90. Just look at the % of option players and you'll see what I mean!

One thing you'll notice is the new breed of trinket shooters have very little committment. A few years and they're gone but always replaced with a few less. The ATA is losing a battle of attrition and can't understand why!!

3. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

so why don't you guys set back and be sarcastic and do nothing to help???

tony

4. running bear

running bear Member

Brad

I'll put up the Silver Tea Set I won at the 1967 Michigan State Shoot.

Buck

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Tony, does 25+ years of managing an ATA affiliated club and 49 years as a shooter count for anything!!

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Brad, You can keep your trophies. This no talent person just likes to shoot. Bill Malcolm

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

oleo, I'm sure it does, I'm just tired of listening to all the bull s*it about how hard it used to be, and how easy it is for everybody now.....I pay my fee and work just as hard at shooting decent scores as people did 20, 30, 40 years ago, I enjoy the sport, but get tired of being belittled by the older people in this sport that had it so tough!!

I don't pick the trophy's that are awarded at shoots, so what if its a pink ribbon with a gun on the plastic gun on the end???

tony

8. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

tony, here I am trying to make a buck and your offended, are you one of those 1 per centers? Sometimes it pays to listen to older people, When I started shooting in 1974 I was lucky enough to meet and get to know many oldtime trap shooters from the early years, plus reporters like Jimmy Robinson, Betty Ann Foxworthy, who new all the good stories, I loved hearing them and learned from them. If you don't know your history you make the same mistakes over and over. Maybe you should pay attention to old timers, I neve said I had it bad just the contrary, I had it great the new shooters like you have no idea how much fun we had back in the day, I feel sorry for you and am trying to relate what trap has become, but what it was and could be again.

If you want to believe it or not targets are not as hard, the sport has become soft, there are less shooters, it has become a reflection of todays society of everyone wins and lets not hurt someones feelings. The ATA mirrors what's wrong with the country. Brad

Brad

9. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Brad, I will bid $9. If you would throw in free shipping for the trophy, that would be nice.

10. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Did you know the old Ray Stafford of the army shooting team and truck driving years or just the new older Ray Stafford? Same guy two era's the first won the money for the latter. Nice try though Ray never claimed anything that wasn't his, and never took anything that he didn't break, win, or earn. I know I shot with him at the grand for many years. Ray shot more reloads than I did. Brad

11. pigeonator

pigeonator TS Member

Brad I only have met you a couple of times in my 44 years of trapshooting but it was just in passing.Ihave to give you a high five for your post it is exactly right and couldnt be writtin any better. I started shooting trap 1n 1968 and I have seen several changes in this wonderful sport. Some good and many not so good. I have been on the 27 yd line since March 1969 and have never shot at any other yardage since. Because of some of the new rules and catagories I have lost interest in the sport that I have grown to love and cherrish for 75% of my liftime. Hopfully someday it will correct itself before it is to late. ALLEN PINOLI

12. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Brad, sorry, no offense meant to you, I listen to all the old timers at the clubs and always enjoy their stories, the sport is soft, I don't think it is because of the rules, I think it is soft because of the economy.

tony

13. APrice

APrice Active Member

Always amazed at the folks who love to perpetuate myths and legends, especially the old Model 12/Rem 1100/870 shooter in overalls who takes all the money from the guys with "fancy" guns. Sheeesh!

14. PHILFIRST

PHILFIRST TS Member

Dear Brad, I dont know you or any of the other big time shooters and frankly dont care. I have all the respect in the world for the big dogs and envy there talent. But I for one am really tired of the USE TO BE'S and the USE TO COULDS! The new shooters in the sport are not soft hell the jrs and sub jrs. are breaking just as many targets as the big dogs are.Remember the NFL used to play in leather helmets!!! That doesn't make it any more or less of a game. Sports evolve along with people and rules. As for the two yard reduction I would think you would have something better to complain about. Its not rocket science if its across the board it is just a realignment. Good shooters will still shoot good,great shooters will still shoot great and even though I have only been shooting for three years I AM NOT SCARED! I will gladly stand next to anyone and shoot win lose or draw because I love to shoot. P.S. (its more fun when you do beat the big dogs!)
    Phil

15. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Sounds like you boys need to pack your bags and move to the great land down under!

We have wider angles, flatter heights, further distances, inconsistent targets, about 7 different events you need to shoot well to have any chance of winning anything, heaps of flies, sunburn, swear words, beers and spirits after the shooting is finished!!!

Best of all our handicap only moves you back when you win, half or a full yard, depending on how many competitors you beat to win.

Doesnt matter how many times you shoot a perfect score, you have to earn every half yard. Nothing is given or taken away, and there is an amount of respect that others look at 25 metre (actually 28.1 yards) shooters and admire the fact they have earned their spot back there.

Your more than welcome to head down any time you like! Show us how it's done!

16. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Brad, just so I know when to check back, what time does the auction officially end?

17. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Aussie Dan, Say hi to Billy Iles for me. The last 200 straight I shot at the grand he broke one right beside me in the Clay Target. Billy is a target shooter.

PHILFIRST, That's the thing that made trap shooting great, no matter how much money, what kind of gun you shoot, you don't need to be scared of anyone. The only way you miss is not pointing the gun right. It's just more fun to me when your shooting against 3 or 4 thousand shooters at once for 15 to 30 grand.
    Brad

18. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

APrice, the winners with 1100's and model 12s were not myths or legends, that's a fact that I am old enough to remember, and oh yeah, I live with one of those who used to shoot a 1100, quite well I'm told. Good luck with this idea Brad, you've had alot of them in the past and I will be watching this one!

19. Red Dot 1

Red Dot 1 Member

Brad,

I am in complete agreement with your post. The good old days, yes the GOOD OLD DAYS of trapshooting are gone. I started in 1967 and met and shot with many a wonderful bunch of shooters, both male and female. The game has changed so much since the 70's & 80's with the invention of electronic voice calls, new pat traps and the improved ammo/guns. Much easier game!

WOW, I do miss those wonderful years of shooting ATA registered targets all over the country.

Roger A. Smith
    Wichita, KS

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Aussie Dan, Shooting in Austraila is on my "bucket list"!

Brad Dysinger, Should rules changes be focused on the 28k shooters that contribute most of the revenue to the organization or should it focus on the handful of big money shooter elites?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.