1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Little People, I need your help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by omgb, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I've got a friend who is a little person. He wants to shoot trap and skeet so the obvious question is who has experience modifying guns for little people. I think a whole new butt stock will have to be crafted to meet the need. Cutting down a regular stock does not leave enough comb height nor is the butt a proper width. So, if you have done this or had it done, I'd like to hear from you.

This is a serius request so wise-a$$es need not reply.

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Tron has done all the work on my kids guns since they were 7 years old. I have sent him an email.

Jerbear

3. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I've only put together one gun for a little person, but have done quite a few for younger shooters or those of smaller stature. What people fail to take into consideration is that shortening a stock effects the balance point of the gun. Shortening the stock on a 34" gun makes it very front heavy because of the added leverage beyond the receiver. This often causes the shooter to lean back wards to balance the gun. When shortening the stock I usually either add weight to the stock, which should be alright for your friend, or shorten the barrel, and install choke tubes, because young shooters often can't handle any additional weight. Shortening the barrel also adds to the overall symmetry of the gun. Has your friend tried any of the Browning micros, a lot of them have worked for me with little or no modifications.

Big Dave Borecki

PS. Outers makes a cadet stock for the 1100 but it is of field configuration

4. zinger

zinger Member

a Precision Fit Stock can be adjusted from 13" to 16" LOP if that is another possibility for your friend.

5. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

That's why my kids used 28" barrels and my 11 year old Brandon still does. The stock was cut and Tron installed an adjustable but plate and recoil pad along with fitting the cast to his size. Joe will have to refit Brandon when he gets taller, as of now though, the gun fits him well.

Jerbear

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The Wenig stock EE mentioned also has a smaller grip to allow the trigger finger of smaller hands to reach the trigger without having to slide the hand up and forward.

Rolln

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

how little is little? My wife is 5' with very small hands. As mentioned the wenig has a stock shorter in the grip, a spec so over looked by the manufactures of "youth/Ladies" stocks.<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=100_0040-2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

8. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

My friend is not quite 4' tall, maybe 3'9. The big issue is that he has an average sized head so getting it down on the stock is an issue if the stock is just shortened. The comb is just way too low. He does have considerable upper body strength....he is very muscular. His shoulders are about as wide as a typical 7 year old. This is going to be a challenge to be sure. I'm going to follow up on some of the PMs and the above links.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    maclellan1911 hits the nail on the head - Wenig Ladies Stock is his best bet. Don't let the name fool you. It should be called the Wenig Short Stature Stock.<br>
    <br>
    I put a homemade version on my daughter's 1187 20ga. I took a Rem 1187 12ga monte carlo slug stock (very similar in dimensions to a trap stock, but plain wood), and cut the front where it meets the receiver. Recut the tenon. This moved the grip forward. And, because the recoil spring tube is sloped, it also raised the comb. Then I had the butt shortened as far as it would go and installed a half inch soft pad on it. Worked out really well.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

OMBG...

You and your friend face a number of challenges trying to adapt your buddy's physical dimensions to the dimensions of a traditional stock as the proportions may be different.

I might suggest preparing a table of measurements (almost like buying a suit or a custom-made shirt) so that potential fitters have some parameters to review to see if they have an ability to fit your friend, while you're considering your options.

regards to all,

Jay

11. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Find a very very good stock maker and have an appointment made to meet and get measured and fit. Also I would seriously have him check with his Doc and see if there may be any medical concerns ... little persons might have serious longterm problems with shooting.

12. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Back in the early 90's when Browning was still making the BT-99 plus line they produced a Micro BT-99 Plus. Shorter dimensions but still had the adjustable comb, rib, and recoil pad. Generally aimed at the youth or lady market, they sold a few of these and at one time were hard to find. If you come across one of these it could possibly save the gentleman the expense of a custom stock.

13. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I never have ne to New Orleans...maybe some day. I double check and my buddy is 4'1". I thing the Wenig rout is going to be the way to go. I'm going to see if I can hook up with some Little People shooters before we committ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.