1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lite promo load?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SPACE GUN, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Last year I shot 16.3 grains of promo in a 1oz sts shell. It works ok but I would like to lighten it to 15.3 has anyone ever tried something close to that? Also I hope to start my 10 year old grandson out in trap this summer, I have an older TM1 with a short stock and a mercury recoil reducer, What is the lowest amount of promo I can use in 3/4 oz load and it still break targets? Thanks for any imput

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Try 17 grs and a 3/4 shot load. The gun wont even move.

Jim

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

With 15 grains and only 3/4 oz of shot you're gonna quickly get to the point where you won't develop enough chamber pressure to burn all the powder and some of it will go out the muzzle unburned.

Keller

4. Fred Neal

Fred Neal Member

16.5gr. Promo 7/8oz reclaimed shot STS Rem hulls and CB0178-12 wads NO recoil they are great.
    BreakEmAll

Fred

5. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've done loads like Fred's (above) but recently had bloopers in this NJ super cold weather. Switched to Clay Dots; bloopers gone. Chichay

6. travisalfrey

travisalfrey Member

dont go too light- diminishing returns. 17 gr and 7/8 for me...soft as a babys butt.

7. Dustoff

Dustoff Member

I don't see any powder bushing info on the Mec site. I've heard it's the same as Red Dot. True?

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

True, use the Red Dot weight, but you will probably have to use slightly different bushings than Red Dot to throw the Red Dot weight with Promo.

Keller

9. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I concur, Promo does not like to be too light. 16.5 is bottom end of what I have tried. Lots of unburned powder below that.

Switch to 7/8 oz with 16.5 and you should have a nice recoil-free load that will still smash targets.

SW

10. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Promo is close to Red Dot BUT NOT THE SAME! Strongly suggest you shake the container well before each powder hopper refil and re-weigh your loads when you open a new container, or maybe even oftener. Don't be surprised if you have to change bushings to stay within a particular load when opening a new container. Chichay

11. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

I use 15g promo with 7/8oz /rem or win shell /gray wads/rio primer

12. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

17.5-18gr. Clays and 7/8oz. #8's and a CB-1078 in a Federal Top Gun hull.

We have sub-juniors (10-13 yrs old) using that at our club---no complaints.

I have 14 year olds shooting 1 1/8 oz. loads as well kids are pretty resiliant.

Chuck

13. Danby

Danby Member

If you want to stay with Promo I'd drop to 7/8s and keep your powder there,cold is not good for lite promo loads. I switched to American Selects for my lite loads and solved that problem and used the pink 7/8s wad from Downrange.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.