1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lite primer hits Beretta 391, why? It's the BOLT!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 20yard, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I'm getting lite primer hits with my beretta 391. I see a barely indented strike but on the one prior and after look fine. Shooting Winchester super handicaps they look ok.
    Any ideas before taking apart?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

check for a possible broken firing pin spring.. coils can interlock and restrict movement, just a thought..

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

What Jim said above. I had that same problem with a broken firing pin spring.

Hap

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Same as above AND try another factory brand of shell. I am assuming that you are using factory shells?? Fred

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The broken firing pin spring is a possiblity but the beretta is famous for this and there is a fix that eliminates the need to keep replacing springs. PM me if you are interested

6. 20yard

20yard TS Member

yes these are factory shells, I thought maybe the primers looked a little recessed but when you look at another shell when it went off the dent is fine so I ruled out shell. In last 25 it happened 3 times, all shells fired on next try.
    With broken spring can it be intermittent?

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Yes. HMB

8. pogostick

pogostick Member

I have one that has done it since I got it. I have changed every spring in the gun, changed the trigger group, bought a flat of Rios at the Grand, and still had six failures to fire out of a hundred. It does best with new AA's--maybe one out of two hundred. When the shell goes off, the firing pin has hit the primer very solidly. But, on the failures to fire, it only puts a small dimple in the primer. It is as if something has put the firing pin in a bind. Replace the firing pin. If anybody has any more suggestions, I'm listening.

Thanks,
    Larry

9. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Well, I took the gun apart today and there was no broken spring. It was dirty so I cleaned everything up and put it back together. Shot ATA 100 singles and had 1 lite hit, barely a mark on the primer, all the rest looked fine.
    I'm more puzzled than before. Could it be in the trigger group?

10. kyskeet

kyskeet Member

Could it be that the action is not going "completly" into battery, and therefore a small gap in between the bolt face and the face of the shell. If it is possible for the trigger to release in this condition, this could explain the light strike due to the fireing pin having to jump the gap.

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The bolt does not have to be closed for the hammer to drop. A 391 will
    sometimes not completely close if the piston is sticking on the shaft -usually
    the result of the shaft being dirty.

12. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I think it is the bolt failing to close properly! I shot today and had 3 misfires and someone mentioned my new shell catcher. I shot with it removed and had no problems. Then I applied some oil to the bolt at the catcher lip and could see the velocity of the gun closing change. Shot a box without any problem. Still more time to be sure but that sure looks like the problem. I didn't know the gun would try to fire if the bolt wasn't fully closed but that seems to be the case. Is Beretta same as other semi-autos in this regard?

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Lite primer hits Beretta 391, why?

Inspect thye sides of the hammer for signs of a rub, or a shiny spot, if this is the case the wishbone needs to be polished and the sides of the hammer needs polished also for more clearence.

Make sure you have all the carbon cleaned out of the gas sealing area and the rings are clean, so when the gun is closed it is cosing completely.

GB
    DLS

14. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

make sure to run that gun with a light coating of oil on the inside and sliding tube. they tell you run it dry but I have found light oil works great

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I had this problem with my 391 the kids were using at the range. The plastic TS shell catcher was slowing the bolt and causing it to not fully shut. The hammer would still fall, but the striking angle at the back of the bolt was not correct for the hammer to strike squarely.

I filed a little off the top-inside corner/edge of the catcher and it worked fine.

doug

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Put in a new hammer spring & take .003 thousands off the firing pin wing so it travels farther. This is a trick that came from a well known gunsmith. It worked for me. Dougs tip on the shell catcher is also a good point

17. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Yep, it is a TS plastic shell catcher. I am fairly sure it was the bolt not closing completely, will tell for sure as I add rounds without misfires. Thanks for input

18. mooney

mooney Member

Are there any other shell catchers on the market besides the TS that would fit the 391 and not cause the bolt to not closed fully?

19. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

The Birchwood Casey Save-It shell catcher should work on a 391 and it won't affect the bolt. My son shoots a Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic and the TS shell catcher was interfering with the bolt closing just like mentioned above. He switched over to the Birchwood Casey Save-It and have had no trouble at all in over 1500 rounds.

Brad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 391 extrema light primer strikes
beretta 391 firing pin

beretta 391 light primer strikes

beretta al390 light primer strikes
beretta al391 firing pin
hammer not hitting primer on beretta shotgun
how to put new springs in a a391
light strikeing shell bolt not closed