1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

liquid soap as a shot coolant

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeetshooter24, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeetshooter24

skeetshooter24 TS Member

im new to shotmaking,and would like to know more about liquid soap as a coolant,what the temp.range, how hot can u run it before u have to stop? does it have to be thined, and with what? can you use a circulation pump with it? and if theres anything else u can tell me about it would be a big help.thanks dave

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I can tell you do not try to use a recirculating pump, Unless you want a shop full of soap suds.

Don't ask how I know this.

Jim

3. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

We have tried this without much success, try dot3 brake fluid it seems to work the best, you can get it at walmart for 9.99 a gal.

4. guncase

guncase TS Member

I made shot years ago,, have posted this many times, I used regular antifreeze . 5 gals now prices $25.00-30.00. rinses off with water, easiest to use!! non toxic, non flamable, won't foam in a circulator pump. If you spill it on you just rinse it off! I just dumped the shot on a house screen in the driveway and turned the hose on it. Put a board under the screen in a couple places to give it more clearance. Paul

5. powder-em

powder-em Member

skeetshooter,the info from guncase is a little off base. Regular antifreeze is glycol based and very toxic. It's the old feed it to a dog and he dies or in several cases wives feeding it to husbands and they die!!!! There is a perminant anti freeze that is propyline bases that is low tox. This would be the far better choice. It works great for me. Sure wish there was a spell checker on here. All good Dave

6. sum-rifle

sum-rifle TS Member

I have used ATF with great results except for the hassle of cleaning the shot with gasoline then Dawn Dish soap. I have heard the Sierra "No Tox" is the stuff to use. That is the Propylene Glycol antifreeze that does not flash burn and rinses well with water.

I plan on trying it soon but I need a smaller container. My basin I use now is about 14 gallons and I do not want to spend that much on antifreeze.

7. guncase

guncase TS Member

BIGMAC,,, you may be right,, when I was making shot, it was before this "lotox" was on the market. Not talking about drinking it,,, the old stuff is harmful,, but works very well at a cheap price. Don't need the $10 a gal stuff ! I have never used the new stuff to know anything about it except it is more expensive,,I think??? Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.