1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lion Hunting

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by esetter, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esetter

esetter Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

There was a thread on here last week about Mountain Lion Hunting. Well, I just returned from hunting with Nate Simms in Utah and for all you people that thought Lion hunting was a push over, I invite you to hunt with Nate and try to climb the mountains with him and his dogs. Unless you can run marathons at 8500 feet you will feel very proud when you finally put your tag on one of these cats. It is a great hunt and Nate and his partners are great guys. They will work their tail off for you, and you will know that you participated in a special hunt. If you want to see our hunt it will be on Knight and Hale next season. Thanks to Nate, Nick, Chris and his daughters for giving us a great memory.

2. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

0   0   0

Hey guys, Nick, my son nate and the girls are out off the deck right now Sunday nite having a great time in my hot tub. Yes we are civilized out here in western Colorado. You city guys should try it some time! Phil S.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Kind of like shooting Coke cans off a log with a 22, at 15 yards? Great sportsmen. Why don't you try it with a spear, on your own, no dogs. Then lets see who wins, and who eats who...........

4. esetter

esetter Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

The area we hunted in had to close deer and elk season for three years because the cats had decimated the population. They have no predators other than hunters. It is on a strict quota system and you have to call in each day to see if the quota has been reached. Once the quota is reached the hunting stops. As far as the shooting the cats, we used a bow and while the shots aren't difficult, just getting to the cats certainly is. We climbed mountains that most people would never even attempt to climb. We actually had to tie ropes around ourselves and climb down cliffs. I'm not trying to convince anyone to do this hunt, just trying to convince other hunters and sportsmen not to condem something they don't understand, or are not willing or able to do themselves. Hunters must stick together if our sport is to survive. I raise and train bird dogs and I don't see a whole lot of difference between a dog flushing or pointing a game bird and shooting it when it flys, than a pack of well trained hounds treeing a cat and shooting it when you finally get there after a two hour climb up a mountain. You never hear anyone complaining about shooting a pheasant, grouse, quail, or woodcock, but you certainly hear the complaints about Lion hunting. I think people should do some research and see how many cats there are and how they impact the populations of other game animals before passing judgement. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

5. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Esetter: Congradulation's, Sounds like you really earned that one!Post some pictures.Like I stated in the previous post most of the 300+ pounders I see standing on the trap line wouldn't like the effort it took to get the cat!Road hunting would suit them much better!"This doesn't mean ALL trapshooters"
    We ran the dog's last weekend and treed one lion but here in Kalifornia we just take pictures and move on!Don't pay attention to the nay sayers there are real hunters who appreciate what you have done.Regards PJ

6. philk

philk Member

0   0   0

That is on the top of my to do list before I die or it is illegal, along with gunning ptarmigan up north during there color change phase. Hey 410, yesterday a preserve pheasant spured me in the thumb, even drew a little blood. That should make you happy, but I`m happy to cause now I get to have him for dinner. mmmm. So were both happy now,hows that ?

7. creteham

creteham Member

0   0   0

Damn that sounds like fun! Wish my beat up body was still up for something like that. The "nay sayers" don't know what they're talking about. When I was a kid we ran 'coon hounds at night, and anyone who's ever tramped through trees, frozen "cricks", and God knows what else in the dark when it's -10, trying to catch up with the bawling hounds who are 2 miles ahead of you, knows that hunting with dogs ain't necessarily a walk to the local video arcade. I vividly recall having to jump in a "crick" to save one of the dogs from a 'coon he caught that was clamped onto the dog trying to drown him. Damn near froze to death that night over a $15.00 raccoon hide! Not to mention the countless times that we and the dogs got outsmarted by the animals we were after. Sure we had rifles when and if we managed to tree one, but there were more times than not that the "hunt" went in favor of the "hunted."
    I'm with PJ. Let's see some pics if you have 'em. You are obviously a "hunter," not a guy who's happy with shooting planted birds in a private pasture and thinks they've accomplished something.

Terry

8. esetter

esetter Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks guys, here are a few Pictures of the Cats we took. For anyone interested in hunting Lions contact Chris Loncarich at 970-858-4985. They have had a couple cancellations and you might still be able to go this season. I guarantee you a great hunt, with great equipment, super dogs, and as nice a people as you will find anywhere. I think you can see from the background of the pictures and how dirty we are the kind of hunt this is. Not for everyone, but a great time!

<a href="http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/esetter/?action=view¤t=008_8.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/esetter/?action=view¤t=Cougar2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/esetter/?action=view¤t=HoldingCougar.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

0   0   0

Looks like a blast in the West. Don't let the antihunting city dwellers get to you. They kill humans by the millions and wince at the sight of a dead cat. They are so used to steel and concrete that they have completely disconnected from the real planet. They are up to their eyeballs in a completely manmade world. I envy hunters, any hunters, far more than any urban dwelling yuppy trash. There is nothing in hunting more fun to me than watching good dogs work. Any kind of dogs.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I don't oppose the cat hunt, just the method.

11. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

0   0   0

I hope the antihunting crowd is never able to eliminate dogs from hunting. To me they are the best part of the hunt. I have 6 right now. If I had to pick I would rather hunt with my dogs than with any of my other hunting buddies.

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

"I don't oppose the cat hunt-just the method". You chase an animal with dogs-the dog gives you an advantage-you kill the animal. You walk the fields without a dog-a Pheasant flushes-you down him but not cleanly-it runs away-that's OK says shot410ga. I think 410ga has been hunting way too many raccoons at night without dogs, lights or a helmet!!

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

0   0   0

From a purely ethical standpoint you could make the argument that whichever method insures the cleanest kill is the most ethical way to take your game. From that standpoint the treed cat is the most ethical.

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

0   0   0

"I don't oppose the cat hunt, just the method."

Wouldn't that same mentality also apply to bird hunting with trained dogs?

shot410ga, stay away from meat processing plants and the after products!! Those animals stand even less chance with the, "method", methods used there?

esetter, good job guy and you did the local deer and elk populations a favor!! Hap

15. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

0   0   0

I can't believe how angry some get with hunting. I will never understand urban eithics where human life is meaningless but hunting is seen as barbaric. I pray to God that I never understand. Not only is human life meaningless but the animals displaced and permanently removed from the landscape to put in a city is countless. I will never understand how a human mind becomes so warped.

16. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Looking at the pictures I see my Sparta squad mate Nate Simms on the right in the second picture, way to go Nate. Nate is the son of the world famous stock maker in Glade Park, Colorado, Phil Simms, who is also a squad mate from Sparta.

I guess its OK for people like 221 for the lions to stalk and kill people like they do in California (two cases at least I'm aware of). The numbers of these animals need (must) be controlled, they will desimate cattle, deer, elk, if allowed to populate without control.

Do we need these animals in the wild, of course we do, but their numbers must be controlled, didn't you read what esetter said about quotas?? Don't let the big city liberals influence your thinking, like so many of the global warming and tree hugging people do.

I'm a bird hunter myself with my five bird dogs, its the best time of my life when I'm out hunting with my dogs.

And I have enough balls to sign my name.

Tom Strunk

17. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

Just another form of canned hunt. You pay money, tag along and shoot a treed animal that someone else hunted down. Puff up and pound your chest.

18. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

0   0   0

I don't see how following hounds is anything like a canned hunt. I also don't see how a canned hunt is any different than how the majority of people get their meat. I like to go to a preserve every now and then to train my dogs. The only difference between my dead quail and pheasants and the dead turkeys and chickens from the store is the method of killing.

19. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

0   0   0

Nate or Phil Do you know a Kevin Bonugard, speeling may be a bit off ????

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

: highflyer , They have already done it here in Oregon. No cats or bears with dogs. Cougars have taken over the state and the deer population has been decimated in the short period since the do-gooders got the ban in place. They will do it in other states as well. They got it on the ballot and people voted with there WITTLE HEARTS!! Big Puddy cats are just twying to get something to eat! OHH... Bad!! Puddy Tat!! Stalking the little kids at the grade schools! Then they bring in a Government trapper with what???? Dogs of course as that is about the only way you will kill a Cougar outside of dumb luck. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

christopher loncarich