1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

linseed oil

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by eddie lee, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddie lee

eddie lee TS Member

what can you add to linseed oil to speed up drying time ?
    tried paint thinner didn,t help
    tks eddie

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Japan drier...available at most paint stores.

3. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Which linseed oil are you trying to use? Boiled or Raw?

Carol Lister

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I would recomend a comercially availavle finish like permaline or Chempack Pro custom oil. Both available from brownells. Japan drier works but you have to experiment to much.

Just my opinion but I do finish guns for a living.

Joe

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Don't waste your time with linseed oil. It offers little protection. I think gun fitter meant Permalyn. It's my favorite. A tough, hard finish and easy to repair.

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The interesting thing about "boiled linseed oil" is that it's not boiled at all (at least 99% of the stuff currently being sold, anyway). For a better true oil finish on furniture, jewelry boxes, etc., Watco Danish Oil does a great job. It's a hybrid mixture avaolable in various tints. If you let it dry a few days, it can also be topped with lacquer like Deft and rubbed to a beautiful lustre. This can also be done on gun stocks, but the finish is not as durable and moisture resistant as some other finishes. I like Danish Oil + Lacquer primarily because it looks like an old-school fine furniture finish instead of the "plastic coated" look of polyurethane and some of the other "modern" finishes. It's also easier to repair if it gets nicked/scratched. -Gary

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Oops, forgot to mention -- regardless of whether you're building-up Permalyn or multiple layers of lacquer, etc., be sure to use 0000 steel wool or fine Scoth-Brite between coats. Rub in same direction as grain when possible. -Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.