1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Linotype metal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 6878mm, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6878mm

6878mm Member

Can anybody tell me --- What proportion linotype metal has to be added to lead to make an alloy suitable for shot??

2. 6878mm

6878mm Member

I was trying to ask a sensible questin here, seems like anything brings the wankers out of the woodwork

3. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I think you were given good advice, bullet casters crave lino, I mix 2 pounds of lino to 18 pounds of wheel weights for a very hard bullet, you could look into a Lyman cast bullet manuel for #2 alloy, should make good shot.

Rick

4. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

6878mm,

Wankers my a$$. You don't recognize good advice when you see it.

HBT

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

6878MM

I cannot answer your question as you asked, but I wanted to tell you that in the case of my own home shotmaker, I cannot keep the melt hot enough for lead and alloy to say mixed to provide a shot hard enough as it is in the factory stuff. I have to constantly stir the melt, but the alloy still floats on the top. Even if you can maintain a good mix, it might clog the outlets because they are so tiny. I think the best shot is still that which is drop from towers, and maybe that is why they do it to get the hard shot desired.

I have found either using wheel weights (which as I am sure you have found are hard to get) or reclaimed lead are best I can do in order to make a good home brew of shot. Even then, I do not use it for registered shoots and limit my home made stuff to club shoots and practice.

I am curious though, if you pursue this to let us know your progress. I am always looking for ways to improve my home brew and would like to know how you make out.

Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

linotype metal for shot