1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Linotype for shot???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ken1okie, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

How would linotype perform for shot?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Mix it about 40/60 to 50/50 with pure lead and all is good. That is, if a bullet caster doesn't beat you up and steal it for himself. LOL. Linotype is getting pretty scarce these days and it seems to be a prized possession. I'm sure a few shotmakes will chime in here.

ss

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Way too light in weight for shot, very good for alloying lead to make it hard.

4. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

You could probably trade or sell it for shot to a bullet caster, the stuff is the best for bullets and getting hard to find

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I waste for lead shot, you could sell it for more

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/linotypealloy.htm?gclid=CJyl6tbX_qUCFcbc4Aod9gGgoA

6. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have 5 "pigs" of Linotype. I wonder how much I could sell them for?

I got them several years ago to use to cast bullets by adding lead and tin to the Linotype.

Allen

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Linotype contains a percentage of tin for reducing surface tension, GOOD for bullet casting as it helps fill the sharp corners of the bullet mould. NOT good for shot making, surface tension is what makes the shot pellets nice and round.

John C. Saubak

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Lyman lists linotype as 84% lead 4% tin and 12% antimony with a brinell hardness of 22 and Lawrence shot as 92% lead 2% tin and 6% antimony and the brinell hardness of 15 They also list if you mix linotype 1 to 1 with pure lead you will get the ratio's of what Lawrence shot is made of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how hard is linotype shot