1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**Links to a good read regarding choke selection?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by davidjayuden, Jul 7, 2013.

1. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I'd like to read something definitive, or nearly definitive, on selecting the correct choke for trap shooting, taking into account different yardages, weight of loads, shot size, fast vs. slow shooters, etc.
    I suspect that everyone has a strong opinion, but I'm looking for something based on research, Neil Winston-esque, that I can read and hopefully learn something from, instead of simply regurgitating old rumors and wives' tales.
    dju

2. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Try that.

Don T. Littleton CO

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Full. A bit less for first shot of doubles.

4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Here we go again. Perhaps not an answer to help find reading material but If you want to break the most targets use the most open choke that will break targets with authority. Best choice will vary depending on gun, shooter, and style of shooting, ie; fast or slow shooter. There is no right or wrong answer but choices for singles are mostly Mod, IM, or Full. The old timers that shot with ammo produced many decades ago needed Full Chokes to produce effective patterns. They are set in their thinking and are not about to change. Not so with modern ammo. I have read on this and other sites of shooters forgetting to install a choke tube and run a straight with no choke in the gun at all.

IT'S WHAT THE PATTERN LOOKS LIKE AND HOW IT BREAKS BIRDS THAT IS IMPORTANT. The widest kill zone with no holes is what I look for. And remember this, the marking on the choke is only relevent to restriction. Pattern percentages are the true measure of choke performance and will vary from shot to shot even using the same brand ammo. And of course things get even more confusing when you change to a different brand ammo/reload. There will be no easy answer found in a book, only guidelines to get you started. You are going to have to do the homework at the pattern board and range.

Now we will hear from people with varying opinions, I would bet most will be in the Full Choke/7 1/2 shot camp (LOL). The fun just begins. Good luck, Marc

5. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Unknown1,

Well said, I like that. Marc

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Figure out the distance you break the target at. Find a choke that produces a 75% - 80% pattern in a 30 inch circle at that distance. This method was studied by Roger Giblin and reported on by the Technoid, Bruce Buck, and verified by Dr. A C Jones and I believe Neil Winston will approve (but I'm not sure). Use the link shown above and enter 'edge on targets' in the search box.

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

What most guys will agree with that have done any pattern work is each barrel, choke and shell combination produce different results on paper with the same choke. You will need to decide how important this all is and how much time you want to spend doing the pattern work. I spent an entire day with Ken Eyster several years ago and with my load, barrel(30" 303 barrel) and choke .17 and .28 produced the 75-80% numbers at 30 and 40 yards. And the patterns were very even after he did his work. It was amazing how he knew what needed to take place inside the barrel/choke to achieve what we wanted after firing and counting pellets. The guy was a wealth of knowledge on patterns.

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Above I read:

"Perhaps not an answer to help find reading material but If you want to break the most targets use the most open choke that will break targets with authority. "

Maybe. But only under certain conditions: If no one is counting, or you can't shoot a winning score, or never want to break really good scores with regularity,

If you do want to win, it's the worst possible advice. You don't need something that breaks targets "with authority" (I hate that term anyway; it's straight from so-called "gun tests" which are worthless, in part, because they print that sort of nonsense and don't do any work at all.)

You need enough choke to break almost every target when it is hit by a single pellet and you get that by having lots of pellets in a relatively small area. This will not be a very open choke at all, and can be best determined by shooting something pretty tight and tracking your scores.

It won't help to be breaking 95's and putting in the next more open choke in hopes of getting a couple more. A couple more won't win anything, so what's the point? Choke so you're as sure as you can get that your pattern is dense enough to break virtually everything you aim correctly at. Nothing else makes any sense. In fact, if you are breaking those low- to mid-90's scores, and have a non-full choke and are thinking of going looser, it might be better to go to full and see what happens. At singles IM may fill the bill; at long yardage handicap, as tight as you can manage probably won't really be enough unless you live at high altitude.

Neil

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Neil when you reference IM and Full choke most barrels differ enough in my experience that pattern testing is the only real way to know how tight a specific barrel,load and choke will shoot. I have one 303 barrel that patterns 70% with a .010 constriction choke installed at 30 yards. Much tighter than it should pattern according to other barrels with the same choke. In fact I have found that the tighter the bore of the barrel the tighter the choke patterns. The more open bore barrels need more constriction it takes to get to that 75% efficiency. That has been my findings with 32" 303 and 390 barrels. Thus the reason I much prefer .722 to .725 bore diameter barrels. I have .730 and .735 back bored barrels that do not pattern near as tight unless .020-.030 chokes are used. Just my findings not looking for arguments. My point is simply pattern each barrel,load and choke you intend to shoot.

1100 REMINGTON MAN thanked this.
  10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Instead of trying a new experiment, or looking for a better mousetrap, why don't you just use what most of the very best Trap shooters have been using for 100 years?

The ones selling tubes, and the ones looking to buy skill, keep the hunt alive.