1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

link to article re growing power of Independents

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by mrskeet410, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Death of Republican-Democrat Duopoly.

Doesn't sound good for bomb-throwers of either party.

Excerpt below, more at link.

"Perhaps the most important long-term trend in U.S. politics is the four-decade leak in market share by the country's two dominant parties. In 1970, the Harris Poll asked Americans, "Regardless of how you may vote, what do you usually consider yourself—a Republican, a Democrat, an independent or some other party?"

Fully 49% of respondents chose Democrat, and 31% called themselves Republicans. Those figures are now 35% for Democrats and 28% for Republicans. While the numbers have fluctuated over the years, the only real growth market in politics is voters who decline affiliation, with independents increasing from 20% of respondents to 28%.

These findings are consistent with other surveys. In January, Gallup reported that the Democrats were near their lowest point in 22 years (31%), while the GOP remained stuck below the one-third mark at 29%. The affiliation with the highest marks? Independent, at 38% and growing. In a survey released in May, the Pew Research Center found that the percentage of independents rose from 29% in 2000 to 37% in 2011."

2. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Mrs. Keet,

Wouldn't it have been much better to have located the article you want before starting a meaningless thread? Just wondering.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I consider myself a libertarian who is a registered Republican.

But if we gunowners get screwed over again with an anti-gun RINO getting the nod, I'm going to have to seriously reevaluate whether I can continue to support a party that cannot support me.

We should be able to vote FOR someone, not AGAINST someone.

4. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I've never heard of declaring independent. We only have 2 primaries here, Democrat and Republican. If you want to vote in the primary you have to pick one or the other. I consider myself to be an independent with libertarian leanings, but vote in the Republican primary.

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I'm back to being a Republican. I voted Libertarian for 10 years, and never voted for a winner (where did that get me)? Can't believe I came back to vote for McCain, but I had to try and help beat Ojackass.

Got involved in a very small way with the Tea party, and hope they can help steer the Repubs back to limited government. A tea party Republican (Richard Mourdock) is running in the primary against Rino Dick Lugar next May in Indiana. That would be one less Rino if we can give old Lugar the heave ho.

Try to defeat the Rinos in the primaries.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Latest economic outlook for Oregon is that employment levels won't be anywhere near where they were until after 2014 at the earliest. And many consider that not only optimistic, but a half-lie, considering the well paying blue collar jobs are being replaced with entry level burger flipping jobs.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I was hoping McCain would win. This country would not be in any better situation right now, if not worse. Even then the libs would still be blamed though. Politics is nothing but a waste of time and money, no matter who it is.

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Well Bisi - Dump Lugar eh? That sounds like a good way to give the Democrats a filibuster-proof Senate.

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Yeah, dump Lugar in the Republican primary and elect a real Republican in the fall election.

Ole Dick Lugar stopped even pretending to be conservative 25 years ago, but now he is back. Just watch the commercials he will be even more right wing than Rush. Just don't buy it.

I heard ole Dick had to buy a road map to find his way back to Indiana so he can campaign. I bet that really ticked him off - having to come back to the Hoosier (aka Hayseed,) state in Dick's mind.

Diok Lugar is the same as his old ahole buddy Dick Durbin, from IL. LIBERAL

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Bisi - They said similar things in Delaware and Nevada last fall. How did that work out?

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

He went to DC and stayed there, and would only leave there to go on a foreign junket paid by taxpayers.

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

What concerns me in the next primaries is Obama has no Dem opposition, so the states with open primaries will get a lot of Dems heading to the polls to pull the lever for the most likely RINO on the ticket...to either beat THE ONE, or lose to him.

I believe the whole primary process needs to be revamped. They need to be closed and only accessable to card carrying Reps or Dems. The primaries are only for the two parties anyway. How else would Juan McCain have such a big surge from being scraps from the bottom of the barrel to the top of the ticket, if the Dems hadn't stepped in?

Here in MN we have caucuses, and during the last prez election, our local caucus chose Romney over Huckleberry and Juan, as did the whole state. When I got home that night, Romney dropped out. What a total waste of time that night.

The country needs to be divided into thirds during the primaries (at least the republican)....East coast, Midwest, West coast. This way each region will vote on one night, seperated by 3-4 weeks. And, also each area will rotate who will vote first every four years.

I remember during the last prez election, Rush Limbaugh pleading with his listeners in open primary states to head to the polls and pull the lever for Hillary. During that time, THE ONE was leading, but then the surge for Hillary appeared...a tit-for-tat.

Doug

13. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but can each party run their primaries any way they wish?

Rick, I hear ya about the MSM picking our candidates. It just recently got ramped up with Jon Huntsman joining the race. Another John McCain who has openly said he will not challenge Obama on any issues. And, to top it off, Harry Reid has talked highly of him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.