1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lincoln 3.9 V-8 Timing Chain Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am looking at buying a very nice 2001 Lincoln LS w/3.9 V-8 and it has a noise with the timing chain, was wondering if FOMOCO is doing any campaigns on this problem? I was looking on line and found the complete Kit and it was $649.00
    This is a rear wheel drive vehicle so front of the engine access is reasonable but everything has to come off the front from radiator and shrouds, fans, and possibly the A/C Condenser. Has anyone done this themselves? e-mail me what had to be done. There are 4 timing belt tensioners and 3 to 4 timing chains.

Parts are not availablke at NAPA Store, Advance Auto and Auto Zone said it was dealer item.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Gary, After reading your post, I checked with "shopkey" a repair data base that we use at the high school. There are no Recalls listed for timing chain noise nor are there any TSB's Technical service bulletins. Sorry can't be of more help.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Gary, on a vehicle that is ten model years old, I doubt that any factory campaign would still be in effect, if there ever was one. Bite the bullet, get an estimate from a dealer, or obtain a shop manual if you wish to attempt this yourself. It will list the special tools if any are required, and take the guesswork out of the fix. The last time I looked at one of those engines, was around the year 2000 on an engine stand at a new model introduction training session. I did a quick check and there are NO TSBs or Recalls listed for that concern on the vehicle. Understand that you may have to remove the engine to do it right, and invest in some special tools as well. Can't say for sure, since most of my older manuals have been disposed of or given away. I had some on disc, but have no idea where they went after ten years.

4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Dr. I looked it up all Alldata and it's a 15 hour job, so it's not easy for sure.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

With the cost of the 4 chain tensioners, guides and 3 timing chains and the cost of the vehicle, I can buy one that is ok and at a good price, so I have given up on the deal.

Looking for another car now.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Used Lincoln's are a buyer's market, bargain city. No resale value.

7. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Dr.
    I'm an Alldata Representative if you need any info email me I'll see if there is anything I can do to help, But I tend to agree with Mr. bullet it's probably not a job for the faint of heart?

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

The 4.6 dual overhead cam engine was no piece of cake and required special tools. I wouldn't attempt it as you would surely run in to problems. Fortunately that engine has been a good one. Jackie B.

9. jburger

jburger TS Member

You'll need a few special tools a camshaft locker and a crankshaft keeper. Good luck it's a "typical" ford job requiring special tools and all.

Jeremy

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you want never ending problems and a car that will nickle and dime you to death, then buy that POS. THEY WERE GARBAGE!!

11. notarget

notarget TS Member

A noise from the timing chain at 1500- 2000 rpm is normal for the 3.9 V8. My 2000 model has had it since new and at 93,000 miles has been trouble free. The car has had only routine maintenance and is still performing well after almost 11 years. I would consider it a far better car than most and certainly superior to my last Mercedes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2001 lincoln ls 8 timing chain noise

2001 lincoln ls timing chain problems