1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Limits called for on free speech at UN

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Rick Barker, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

So, will the media sit quietly by if the UN tries to criminalize any "attacks" on Mohammed like the UN call for gun control?

I see a Muslim group in Kansas City wants the same thing. See attached link.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

US should get the hell out of the UN. this has become a ridiculous organization. Watching the Liar in chief wag his finger at the violent people was low humor at its best.

HM

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

The easiest way to control the UN is to quit funding it. Take the number of countrys that belong and divide the cost and only pay our share.

Any country who protests against the US, quit sending them money also. Charity begins at home, period.

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Would free speech limits shut Obama up?

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

A recent thread was titled, “Is Religion a Reason to Vote for President?”

Mike responded thus, “Not by it self, unless the S.O.B. is a Muslim since they seem to have the exact opposite values of true Americans.”

Blade responded to Mike saying, “…what about those born in America, maybe third or fourth generation Americans, who are Muslims. Do they have the opposite values of true Americans?”

I responded to Blade. “I don't know Blade. Maybe we could invite a multi-generational group of Koran embracing Muslim citizens to an obummer style beer summit and find out.

I would propose generating a list of hypothetical’s where "true American values" might not be consistent with the teachings of Islam. For example, free speech is a true American value. Criticism of the prophet Muhammad would be an example of offensive albeit protected speech. How many Muslim citizens do you suppose would DEFEND free speech if the speech was offensive to Islam?”

I think most Americans agree the appropriate response to hateful speech is to condemn the speaker and his hateful message. As a society, we hold our collective noses while defending the hateful person’s Constitutional right to spew hateful crap. The quintessential example of this value and its defense was the 1976 proposed Neo-Nazi march in Skokie, IL.

Skokie’s population of 70,000 included about 30,000 Jews. An estimated 7,000 of those were victims (or family members of victims) of the Nazi Holocaust during WWII. Those demographics are of course, EXACTLY why Skokie was chosen. The extended controversy and legal battle began in 1976. It ended with a 1980 Supreme Court decision in favor of the Nazis. Whatever else was true, Jewish Americans did not murder the Neo-Nazi bigots.

Contrast that with the current situation. The position of Muslims world wide is to ban speech they find objectionable and literally kill the messenger. OTOH, perhaps someone can provide links to sources where American citizens of the Muslim faith have taken a different stance. For all I know thousands of Muslim citizens in Dearborn and elsewhere are vigorously defending the American value of free speech. If so, now would be a good time for someone to post those links.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.