1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lime Green Stuff

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FalconSprint, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Anyone ever skinned a Whitetail buck that was in the rut, and found a lime green slime around the sides and throat area of the neck? Not in the meat, but between the hide and the neck meat? I can find no indication of a old injury or something that would cause an infection, anywhere on him. He's really in the rut though, neck was all swelled up and smelled, well like a buck in the rut smells. Can't remember ever seeing this before and now I'm questioning if it's OK to eat. Stuff looks like the green slime you put in a flat tire. Wipes right off with a paper towel. Thanks F/S.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=259497

Sounds like an infection, and is most likely not fit for consumption, based on the opinions at the link above.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yes i have and i am not ashamed to say i have given a whole doe to the coyotes just to be safe because of it. The doe that i scrapped had no signs of injury. Now i killed a buck one time that had a previous injury to his front leg. The whole surrounding area had discolored meat and the greenish color like you described. With that buck i simply cut out the back straps and rear quarters and scrapped the rest. Like skeet man said, it is likely something not fit for human consumpton. I would at the very least cut that whole section away and make sure to clean and sanitize your cutting tools. I may be paranoid but there are too many food born issues that can kill humans. My families lives and mine were not worth the risk getting sick or worse from eating tainted meat.

4. Alex Ragulsky

Alex Ragulsky TS Member

I would suggest that you contact your local Dept of Wildlife and let them know ASAP. Maybe they've seen this before and can advise you.

Respectfully,

Alex Ragulsky

5. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

If it has an infection, or call it what u may "gange green" SP it is throuought the meat, completely through all the meat, dont try to save the backstraps cause it isn't in that area, it is in bloodstream. coyote bait here
    Dave Butzier

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.