1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

like apples, how bout those apples

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Sep 22, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Around this time of year here in the nearby Milwaukee area, farmers are now selling Honey crisp apples. I eat these apples like Mr. Ed. I just picked up a bushel the size of my fist and the Mrs. just made caramel apples with and without nuts. Lordy, it's like dying and going to Heaven.

My wife and mother are also making fresh caramel corn as I type this. Are Honey crisp apples your favorite? If not, what type of apple is? Can any snack beat caramel corn eating while it's a bit warm, I think not?

Hard to believe any of you would disagree on both counts. Let me know either way?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. johnboy

johnboy Member

Discovered Honey Crisp while in Vermont several years ago, very good apple.

3. JRW

JRW Member

Make mine Macintosh. Jerry in MI

4. aloha one

aloha one Well-Known Member

Pineapple??
    Aloha
    RR

5. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Most of the Macintosh trees have been cut down in Western New York. I was back there last week and I couldn't get any of them. The newer Empire apples won't be available for a couple of weeks. Bummer. Had to settle for Galas. Ron

6. senior smoke

Macintosh actually hurt my teeth for some reason? I never heard of Mac's? Another apple I like are called Pink lady.
    Steve

7. philk

philk Member

Kiku and Ambrosia, the only two I buy.

8. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

My favorite is a heritage apple called Gravenstein. There is a new one, just registered as a variety, called Okana, that is supposed to be very good. I'm going to try to find some in a week or two, as they are just about to be harvested.

9. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

There was about 8 or 10 different kinds of apples at the grocery store yesterday. I ended up with Gala apples. I can never remember which one I like the best. I guess the one in front of me, if it's fresh.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Honey Crisp is a relative newcomer, I recall the buzz a couple years ago.

When I had real teeth I liked the Red Delicious. No other apple had a flavor like that.

Macs or Cortland make great pies. I can eat them, they're a little softer.

We had Yellow Transparent in a tree by the kitchen window when I was small, a very heavy bearing tree. Mom used to prop up the limbs with clothesline jpole supports. Apple butter and applesauce came from it. They were tasty, but you had to beat the hornets to them as they came quite early.

HM

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Pink Lady is a good apple

12. senior smoke

Some of you bring up apples that I never heard or seen before. Plan to write some of these down and ask my area farmer if he sells any of these? If so, I'll purchase a few and try them.

If you like apple pie we have an orchard and a store nearby that sells large apple pies that are made in a big brown bag. They are huge pies and are very expensive. I have never had an apple pie that taste better to me than this one.

A lot of us like ice cream on our apple pie. Believe it or not, my wife and I were eating lunch one day at a place called Bakers Square in my area. They have a lot of different types of pie that they make.

An older gentleman seated to my right ordered a slice of apple pie with cheese on top of it????? I never heard of that?
    Steve

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Empires are basically a cross between MacIntosh and Red Delicious ... best of both wolds!

14. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Takes a DAMN strange man for a 'Bushel the size of your fist' to come out right. I've heard of the 100 Apple bushel ( BIG Apples ) and the 150 Apple bushel ( tiny Apples ) but never the fist size bushel ( about 1 Apple by count ) HeH. Just yanking your chain Steve.

BTW, my favorite from long ago was the variety Granny Smith for pies and Golden Delicious for chomping down. Grandpa had a Cider/Vinegar Orchard long ago when the press plant was operating near Hurtchinson Kansas. Grew both varieties on 320 acres.

Don T

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Steve, my family has eaten cheese on our apple pies for as long as I can remember and I'll be 75 next year.

I wouldn't dream of eating a slice of really great apple pie without my cheese........Well, maybe if I couldn't get any I'd still eat it, but would like the slice of cheese to go along with it.

I also eat cheese on my raisin pie. Yum Yum!

All good!

Hauxfan!

16. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I can remember my Grandmother saying "Apple pie without some cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze". Ron

17. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I like all apples, well not crab apples

I also use apple wood to smoke meat, real tasty

Speaking of smoking meat, my wife and I were experimenting and she made some real good Canadian bacon using pork loins, I told her she ought to try it using beef instead so she took a round roast and used it, that stuff is beyond fantastic

18. SBray

SBray Active Member

I tried some Pink Lady apples last season, they were really good!

Steve

19. 16gun

16gun Member

1. Johnnagold
    1 1/2? Golden delicious

20. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

When you think about it, some of those big trees we were getting our apples from when we were young would be going on 100 years old by now. Labor to climb a ladder and pick them was becoming an issue 50 years ago. Ron