1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lights on Trap fields

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 34model12, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 34model12

34model12 Member

I'm looking for someone to give me some good info on setting angles and directions for lighting on trap fields. I have no way of knowing if our lights are set right & proper. We have two poles setting on the 40 yrd line outboard of the post #1 & #5. Should the light beams from the right side cross to the left & the left light beams cross to the right?? We'll really appreciate any and all help guys, thanks for all responses. Tom Boyd

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hubbel has a table on the above site showing the required foot candles at various locations for skeet & trap. Since clay target shooting is an aerial sport much like football or baseball insofar as illumination is concerned What hits the ground is only part of the equation.

The height of the poles, how much lighting you work with, type of lights, all come into play. Somewhere out there is a club that has spent money on jprofessionally engineering a system, and that info should be available.

We use metal halide, 5KW in 6 lamps on 2 poles per field. scores improved nicely with this installation.

HM

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

See link for trap field.

Below for a skeet field:

http://www.rangeinfo.org/resource_library/facility_mngmnt/design/tech_drawings/plan8.pdf

I work for an engineering company, and a few years back, our skeet league guys did all the design work for our club to add lighting to all the trap and skeet fields. We essentially followed the recommendations in the two files I linked.

We have pretty good lighting now.

Good luck!

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

We use the Musco sports lighting system. 3 poles per field with 10 fixtures per field in a 3-4-3 fixture layout. We have 6 fields like that. At night it's like shooting in the Super Bowl stadium of last night.

Eric

5. dhg

dhg TS Member

Tom contact Larry Gowdy of Gowdy Bros. Electric in Redmond OR, they are the ones that did the lights for the Redmond rod & gun club.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to light a skeet and trap field
lighting layout for skeet field

lighting skeet shoot

musco sports lighting systems skeet and trap
trap field layout and lighting

trap field lighting layout

trap shooting lighting layout
work maintaining trap skeet fields