1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightning?? Scale is off

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I got home tonight and found a garage door open and no longer working during a Monsoon Storm. I believe it was raining down and up. When I went to change shell I was loading, I got out my electronic scale and found the tare weight to be 139.5. It seems it was 143.4 or 140.4 before, but it is certainly different now. It will zero and calibrate but the pan weight appears lighter but it is consistent. Not my field of expertise to know about this. Also, alarm system has malfunction.

Is the scale safe with a new zero?
  2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Jan 29, 1998
    Use your Calibrating Weights and see. Or use your balance scale and check the weight of a load.

Gary Bryant
  3. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Electronic scale should be trun on about a hour before you use it. Weather can also make you electronic scale do funny things like your finding out beings its in your garage.
  4. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Marissa, IL
    This is probably a first for me on Trapshooters.com. A subject that I may have some practical knowledge. I have worked on scales for 24 years. Your scale should be fine as long as the span has not shifted. I am guessing the auto zero tracking has reset with the power out. If you zero your scale, place a known weight on it that is above 25% of scale capacity and if it registers correctly you are good to go. If you want to check it at a higher load, place an unknown weight that registers just less than your test weight and then add you test weight. Keep doing this until you reach capacity. This is called a ladder test.

Todd / Illinois