1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lighting fixture recommendations for Trap range ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot string, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot string

shot string TS Member

We are at the point that we need to upgrade the old quartz fixtures on our range and I was wondering what fixtures you would recommend that have worked well for you in getting the necessary amount of light out there.
    Thanks
    Lynn

2. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Shot string, I would recommend you talk to people who do this type of work and they can give you some ideas as to what is most cost effective not only in initial cost, but in maintenance and monthly utility bills. You can go to www.sportlighting.com and give them a call. I am sure they would be very helpfull if you spoke to them and tell them what you want to do. They may know of some people who have upgraded field lighting etc. and may have something available or refer you. We had car dealerships for 33 years and and built from scratch and remodeled and lighting has come a long way over the years. Not only in brightness, but in initial cost, coverage and maintenance.
    You might be wise to spend little more initially and will cost you lot less in the long term

I know lot of people use old power poles with a light hung on it, but I belive you can accomplish the same thing with better lighting at same cost with modenrn fixtures.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Metal halide, 1K and 1500 watt, is what we used. We have 6 lights per field, but they are skeet overlays.

We have had them for a long time. Relamping is a bit pricey but the results are very good. You can read a newspaper anywhere on the trap line and targets show nicely.

I would go and see a couple installations if I were you, to get a feel for what you need.

We are pretty much using the same lights a ball field uses, but not as many and of course configured for the purpose.

A Wesco guy designed ours.

HM

4. oletymer

oletymer Member

Halfmile has it. Metal Halide, the only way to fly.

5. shot string

shot string TS Member

Thank you for the advice gentlemen, I'll go do my homework
    Thanks again
    Lynn

6. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

Ctreay Has it right!!! Any questions, I would give Chuck Elton (or his son, Mike) a call at Golden West Industries. You can find the number on the web.

2 1500 Watt Metal Halides and white targets will explode like fireworks!!!

The outright BEST!!!!

Gene

7. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

We have two of the stadium type lights on our little field and you can see the shot string if it is truly dark out. Very helpful with our high school shooters on Wednesday nights during the fall and winter months, you can imediately tell them if they are shooting low,high,behind or ahead of the bird. Smoke balls at night are literally a starburst that you do not see during daylight hours. Bill

8. BPSR

BPSR Member

Don't know about price, but you may want to contact Musco Lighting. These guys are headquartered in Oskaloosa Iowa I believe. They are the ones who light up Nascar's night races, probably the best in the lighting business at this time.

9. shot string

shot string TS Member

Thank you for some great information and suggestions. You guy's are a wealth of information.

Lynn

10. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Patdf who posts on here has recently, (last winter) done a field in MAss. and is the process of doing another.....he ordered all the electrical components and will surely advise exactly what you need. I shot at the Woburn SC last winter under the lights....they were fantastic!! Frank C

I'll call him and tell him to check this thread.....

11. Frank C

ttt Pat?

12. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Hello Lynn,
    I completed one field last year, and this week were lighting the second field at our club. There are a number of variables to concider when doing the lights. There's the height of the lights, wattage, distance from the field, and most importantly the reflector type. The reflectors all look the same but how there designed determines the light beam. The reflectors have a NEMA number 1 through 7, and that dictates the amount of light giving at a set distance and also the spread. I have dealt personally with the lighting reps and technicians regarding these issues, but are to lenghty to post. If there is anything I could help you with e-mail me and leave a message and if you like your phone number and I can talk to you on this project.

Good luck,
    Pat

13. shot string

shot string TS Member

Hi Pat,
    Thanks for the offer, you have mail!!

Lynn

14. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Hi Lynn,
    I didn't receive any e-mail, please try again.

15. Frank C

If I shoot there tomorrow I will post some pics tomorrow night!

16. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Hi Lynn,
    I'll be home this evening

Pat

17. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Lynn, (or anyone esle interested)

This may be a little late, but I came across the drawings and spreadsheets used in lighting our local field several years ago. I’ve converted the CAD files to .pdf format but can easily send the .dwg files if you have Autodesk software.

I supplied the steel, pipe, plates, and welding. The club picked up the tab for the rest. I can include the costing spreadsheet if interested.

I used 8 – 1500W Metal Halide, NEMA 3 fixtures to light a combination skeet/trap field. There are absolutely no dark spots for either game.

PM me with an email address if interested.

18. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Pole Base.

19. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

From the back.

20. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

tallpaul,

You've got mail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.