1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightest recoiling powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 1moreround, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

I have been loading promo and red dot, but wondered which available powders are the softest shooting? Thanks in advance..

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

You are in luck, Promo and Red Dot are as soft as the rest.

3. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

The SA answer is powder has no recoil.

Technically the weight of the powder is added to the weight of the bullet or shot when calculating recoil, so for any given shot load and velocity the less powder needed equals less recoil. I like PB except for the price. If you were asking about rifles or pistols with compensators then the slower burning powders work better because they give the comp more gas to work with.

4. 7 straight

7 straight Member

clays, green dot or solo 1000

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

PB, although there are those among us with charts and graphs that will show otherwise. PB does hit the pocketbook much harder than all the others!!

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Must be that time of the month again for the monthly "Powder Report". For hopefully the last time PB is the softest shooting powder out there.

Don

7. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Any powder the other guy is using is always softer shooting that what I'm shooting.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

GreenDot. Wayne

9. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

The slower burning, the softer feel...imo,

milt

By the way, 7625 is as expensive as PB and you need to load even more to get the same speed. 7625 gums up an auto in 600 rounds to the point where mine would not close on a live round. I like International Clays for light recoil but may try Green Dot next. Inter. Clays is VERY clean!

10. no powder

no powder Member

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Let me also add the reason GreenDot has less recoil: F=d(mv)/dt.
    F=ma : the net force on an object is equal to the mass of the objects multiplied by its acceleration. Sooooooooooo, the amount of weight, whether its 1oz. or 1 1/8oz, the longer it takes to move through the muzzle, even though when it has the same speed or greater when it leaves the muzzel, has a direct relationship on the opposite energy on your shoulder. Wayne

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Wayne, can you express that another way? I can't make heads or tails of what you have written.

JonP,

The peaks for all the powders (which you are likely to use for trap) occur within about 0.003 seconds of one-another and that's for the extreme, Red Dot and PB. The "shove" you've seen in countless magazine articles exists only there. They are made up. The real pressure curves are alike. Magazine writers make stuff up; the "shove" is an example.

Keep tuned to the 1 1/18 vs 1 oz thread. I've found Shotgun Sports for September, and it's a doozer!

Neil

13. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I can't make heads or tails of what Neil just wrote. For a little guy (that's me) who shoots an auto with a soft touch and still gets kicked around, the slower burning powders have a softer and not as abrupt response...imo. Yes, with less amount of shot used, the less recoil you'll experience, but that was not your question....imo.

My suggestion to you 1moreround, try them all because your experience may differ, regardless of stats.

Good luck,

milt

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Years ago, when I reloaded, before lead went sky high in price, I found that the lightest 1 1/8 ounce load (lightest in felt recoil) was a Federal Paper Hull with Green Dot using Remington primers. Those were sweet. Even better was the same deal with Unique, but that left a very dirty barrel.

15. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Easy way to find out. Take the load you like in terms of hull,primer,wad,shot charge & load the powders you like. You MUST chrono is the only problem. You can only guess at the speed which affects recoil the most of all factors all else being even.
    I have done this with a chrono. PB gives the least recoil. I have mostly done this with Gold Medal so that is a serious problem.
    I would say try it at book recommended & see. Personally of the few 100 different loads I have chrono'd most powders need to be cut back by 5-7% to get the velocity stated in the book. Clays is the only exception. That powder holds preety much true grains/velocity the book shows.

16. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

PB,7625 are great but pricey!! 800x is good and WST and green dot are my favorites.This is in regard to FELT RECOIL. PJ

17. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

Thank you all for your opinions. Due to recent neck injuries and metal plates in my face, the recoil is now a real issue for me, which never before affected my shooting. Due to limited suppliers of powders up here, we have a wide election of powders to choose from.....red dot and promo. I have thought of trying some Gold Metals with 14 grains of red dot, in a Claybuster cloan 12SO wad, and try driving it at 1000fps, from the 16 yards line to see if it really makes much difference over a juiced up 1250fps 1oz load...It has to be fairly soft. At that slow velocity the shot string should reach the target by the time the next has almost fallen asleep. :)

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

baby ... love that white cloud

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

The differences between a slow burning and a fast burning powder are around 3-4/10,000 of a second. I believe it is impossible for anyone to shoot a round with one powder, go back to the car and get a box loaded with another powder producing the same velocity with the same shot charge, then shoot another round 15 minutes later and conclude that the second box reached it maximum pressure 2/10,000 of a second slower than the first box.

This is the same thing as stating "the quarter right I missed on that round came out 0.02 MPH faster than the other targets and landed 1.6 inches past the point where the other targets have landed. I also think the target was only 4.2997 inches in diameter and the others have been 4.3000 inches in diameter".

If you are after less recoil think and less shot, less velocity and a heavier gun. For less felt recoil, look for a well fitting stock or a device similar to a Precision Fit Stock.

Pat Ireland

20. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Solo 1000 or Clays. 1 oz loads in Fed Papers are sooooo soft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.