1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightest recoiling Factory Loads 12ga.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spclays1, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spclays1

spclays1 TS Member

I have a friend and his son that are new shooters. He dosen't reload and has been shooting 3dram 1 1/8's, so what is the lightest recoiling 12ga factory load that he can buy to shoot trap and skeet? I only shoot reloads so I'm not up to date on factory loads.

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just about the lightest load is Remington STS managed recoil 7/8 oz @ 1100 fps great for a lot of extended singles practice only--don't think it would be viable in competition---7/8--1 oz loads @1180 are good,soft & viable for singles & shortcaps to the 22 yd--thats just an educated guess based on experience.

Lou

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Recently shot some Winchester AA Xtra-Lites and was truly surprised about how well they shot! At first I thought they were "bloopers" as they sounded very soft, but I was breaking clays at the 25 yd line with no problem. Excellent beginners load and great for anyone not liking recoil.

AndyH

4. gary0920

gary0920 Member

For what they will spend on the Remingtons and AA light loads, they would be better off buying a 600 Jr and components to load their own.

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Look for Winchester 'Feathers'

VERY light load - about 850 fps over a chronograph.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Another vote for Winchester Feather Lite's.

Sound like bloopers. Crush targets from 16.

VERY light recoil.

Hodgdon has a recipe for them using Winchester AA Lite Powder:

Winchester AA hull

26 grams of lead shot (about 15/16 ounces)

12 grains of WAA Lite Powder

Win. 209 Primer

WAA12SL Wad

Yields 980 fps muzzle velocity and 5,600 PSI peak pressure

May not operate semi-auto guns.

7. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

Noblesport has some very good light loads out there and affordable....

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I really like AA 1oz. 8's....fast enought to get the job done and tolerable recoil.

9. clayshooter100

clayshooter100 Member

rio makes a 1oz load in paper that is still going 1200 fps it is very light on recoil

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Those Winchester AA "featherlites" (low recoil, low noise) are the lightest recoiling factory 12ga loads that I'm aware of. Nominaly 26 grams (15/16oz) #8 @ 980fps. Almost NO recoil, they sound like bloopers, and they'll absolutly CRUSH the targets from the 16yd line. That said........;
    I never had enuf' confidence in 'em to use them in competition?

2 3/4 dram 1 oz #8 @ 1180 fps "Xtra Lites" are a good reliable light recoiling load that have considerably less recoil than 3 dram 1 1/8 oz loads.

John C. Saubak

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Selecting the lightest recoiling load is not difficult. Simply multiply the velocity by the weight of the shot. The load with the lowest number (product) will have the lightest recoil.

Pat Ireland

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Winchester AA low noise low recoil are great. They can be tough to find. I used them for intro to shooting with the wife on the 870. Great for pumps and O/U guns. They would not cycle my auto, not a bad thing you just have to eject manually. They became tough to get in my area. I would have to order them. As stated above the price and need for lighter loads got me into reloading. I ended up with a 1oz load with clays @ 1130 fps for the wife. I started shooting these and love them! Maybe you should load up a few for him?? I have been playing with 7/8oz loads to conserve lead been very happy with those also. The AA Feather lights are off sounding, many will look your way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lightest factory 12 ga loads

lightest load for skeet

lightest recoiling trap guns

lightest trap load