1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightest 1 oz. load?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull-it!, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

What is the lightest 1 oz. load that can be reloaded for a kid to shoot?

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

fast burning powder for shotgun shells does not detonate, so as long as the shot and wad exit the barrel, you are good to go.

That being said, I'd suggest 7/8ox loads @ 1100fps to 1150 fps.

Here is a slower, softer load STS or Gun Club Hull, 14.7gr red Dot, 12S0 wad, 7.8oz hard shot. This load is subsonic, and most likely will not operate an auto loader.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I was looking for some loads for a friend of mine who might start loading and trying to find a powder that is available right now and found some real nice loads with 700X powder down to ll00 fps. I was a bit surprized. I would bet that would be good. As said above Win. AA Lite can get it lower if need be. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

I load with clay dot powder, and win 209 primers in plastic Federal, and plastic fiochi hulls. Just was curious how light I could go with a 1 oz. load?

5. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I load 1oz of 8 1/2 with pink clay buster , cheddite primer in about any hull with 15.5 grains of promo. The Mrs.(4ft 11in 120pds) does awesome with them(mod choke in Citori) makes the team quite often and high lady in the local league, my self I am still learning the game and I can get 46/50 on a good day with the same load.

Jerry

6. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

I am wanting to stay with my claydot powder & 1 oz. load just wanted to see if I could find out where the minimum charge was at with that load. I have emailed Alliant powder and asked them this question but cannot get any response. Hope their powder keeps outperforming their customer service!

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Duplicate the Winchester Featherlites with WAALite powder. 26 grams of shot at a real slow velocity. Sounds light, shoots lite, but breaks targets. Data is listed at Hodgdon.com

8. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

Clay Dot is not a good powder for light slow 1 oz load that's why everyone on here keeps telling you to go with Win AALite. Clay Dot is for loads at or above 1200 FPS.

Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.