1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lighter weight trap shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cuspid2, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cuspid2

cuspid2 TS Member

I am a 70 y.0. shooting wobbly trap for the 2nd year I shoot a 12gauge Remington 1100 After 2 rounds I find the heaviness of the gun causes me to miss shots other than try to build up muscles are there lighter trap guns I am 5 feet 5 inches tall and have a 13 1/2 pull please give me names and models
    thank you
    miles kletter

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

the only thing that you may find lighter than a stock 1100, that won't beat the snot out of you would be one of the beretta 300 series guns (303, 390 or 391). If I had to hazard a guess, one of the new optima bore 391s would probably be the lightest of the 3..

3. Robb

Robb Member

Maybe one of the light contour 1100 barrels? A SuperX might not be as front heavy but that's personal.

4. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

391's aren't a whole lot lighter, but with the reoil reducer available kick a lot less.

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

As far as autoloaders go, when comparing to your 1100:
    The SuperX 2 & 3 Winchesters are light weight, but will tame recoil very easily. I have compared my SX2 to my Beretta 301, SKB 900XL, 1100 TC, Winchester 50, Benelli Super Eagle II, and Browning Recoil-less. The Recoil-less provided less felt recoil, but it is much heavier than all of the other guns. The Super Eagle came in second, but is twice the cost of the SX2.

I am 63 and have been searching for the least-recoil shotgun made for over 30 years and the SX2 is pretty darn close. My SX2 will fire, recock and eject a 7/8 oz, load, but will not feed into battery and close the bolt on a 2nd round of 7/8oz.

I have not shot a SX3, but hear it is better than the SX2. The Browning Gold series is supposed to be the same as the SX3, but I cannot validate that as fact.

New on the market is the Beretta UBG25 Xcel, but it is heavier than the SX2 & SX3 and sells for around 3500.00 where as the Winchesters can be found for around $700.00 Best of Luck in your efforts.

You might find a single barrel, or over & under that is lighter, but might have to add recoil reducing features to equal the soft shooting of your 1100.

6. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

i would suggest you look at the Remington 105 CTI. Not only are they lighter but they have a built in recoil reducer that eliminates as much as 54% of the recoil. It would seem to be the perfect gun for you if you want to stick with 12 gauge. The other alternative would be a 20 gauge semi from Browning, Remington or Beretta. FWIW. JM

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

If I may add to JM1079 recommendation of the new Remington....they have just come out with a CTi II, but the trap model is not yet available, but is coming.

8. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi, If you watch look and listen at enough places where guns are sold and traded you will eventually pick up an old Belgian Browning or Winchester U/O field gun with 26in or 28in barrels choked half and full or thereabouts...most of them are field guns but are dirt cheap...spend the extra few bucks to put on an adjustable comb (or build up the current one with leather or bondo), add the recoil pad of your preference, and you have a cheap gun for wobble or bunker that doesn't weigh a ton...the other advantage with a break-open gun is the you can reduce fatigue on yourself by resting the gun (open if course) on your foot or the shooting pad in between shots. JMHO. Cheers-Graham.

9. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I would suggest a 28" barrel and while you are at it, make it Modified choke. Along with that a composit stock and forend will lighten it up a little too, but the shorter barrel will make a lot of difference on it's own. Even a 26" barrel may be what you need.

Borrow one from a buddy and try it........you may be surprised.

10. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

Consider shooting the 7/8 , 1325 fps bunker load. you might be suprised. best to you.

11. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

A winchester 101 is nice and light but the one i used to own many moons ago kicked like a S.O.B.!

12. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

Miles,

At 78 I've run into the same problem. I was finding my old reliable Perazzi MX-15 hard to swing on sharp angle birds. After a bit of shopping, I bought a Kreighoff KS5 Special off of Trapshooters.com. It has the adjustable rib of a KX5. I put a Precision Fit stock on it and have been delighted with the gun.

After a weeks practice, I shot a 99/97 in The SC State Shoot to win high Senior Vet and another shot at the Champion of Champions in Sparta.

Keep shooting, the older you get, the more you appreciate the sport.

Hank Cross

13. smp005

smp005 Member

5'5" tall with a 13 1/2" length of pull? I would try a Beretta 3901... With the provided spacers you should be able to make the LOP 13 1/2" and it is much lighter but also has mild recoil - lot's of small, young kids shoot them with recoil problems...

14. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

How about that micro BT99?
    30" bbl on a break open gun makes for a very handy gun. I think the stock is a little shorter, but if it ain't, it could be shortened all right.

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My suggestion is a Beretta 303 trap 30 inch Bbl they are lite.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Another vote for the Beretta 3901 with either the 26" or 28" barrel. I lengthened (just for giggles) mine to a 34" barrel to match my 1100 with the 34" barrel. Now, I can stop my swing and still have follow through. The 3901 seems very light to me and we have used a number of them for our junior high shooters.

A gun that really feels light to me is the Montrofelto. It may not be a REAL trap gun, but in wobbles shooting, you really need to chase them. What a hoot! I am short and wide with a short LOP. PM me if you want. Glad to have you still shooting with us! Omaha

17. romie

romie Active Member

EXERCISE ! I want money but I don't sant to work.
    Monty

18. ismah

ismah Member

Your 1100s recoil is about as light as they come. Keep it and start doing some dead lifts with about 20 pounds. Your 1100 weighs around eight pounds, practice mounting it at home. You'll build up in no time. Also, lift your elbows a little higher when shooting.

19. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Just a thought...changing the relative balance of the gun may be an improvement...try putting a 7 oz. recoil reducer or lead shot in the butt. It will make the apparent weight of the muzzle more manageable and should facilitate gun movement...and its a lot cheaper than a new gun.

WNCRob

20. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

To me 1100's are the lightest recoiling shotguns of all the autos. Their action might be old but that same long gas action spreads out recoil. There are a lot of lighter autos made now. It seems to be the trend to make 12 gauge autos as light as possible. Personally I don't understand the trend. Light shotguns kick harder and don't swing as well. If I want a light shotgun I won't be shooting a 12 gauge anyway. You either accept the greater recoil from the lighter shotgun or shoot a light 1 ounce load or even a 7/8 ounce load. My 1187 is not a trap gun and weighs 7 1/2 pounds. There are several 12 gauge autos that weigh in at 7 pounds. There are even 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch autos that are around 7 pounds. Talk about brutal recoil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ideal weight for trap shotguns

ideal weight of trap shotgun

lightest recoil trap shotgun

lightest trap gun

lightest trap shotgun