1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lighter Loads FOR Higher Scores?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1166, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1166

1166 Member

Has any one found lighter loads (1 to 1 1/6 oz.) of shot no. #8 or #8 1/2 for 16yds. (17gr. of promo) plus a .750 bore on my kolar max ta seems to allow me to stay tighter and into the gun much much better thus resulting in higher scores. Just looking for some thougts on this. thanks.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

One ounce of 8-1/2's is plenty for the 16 yard line. That's what I use (I'm Class A and 95.8 singles average last year fwiw.)

I have a friend who is AA (98.22 singles average last year) and he shoots the same load as I do.

Your mileage may vary.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The load you use should be directly proportional to your body weight. HMB

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Whatever it takes to keep your head down, so to speak, on the wood will let you shoot your best scores. If you are thinking about recoil when you call for the target, you'll miss!

ss

5. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

anything that enchances your ability to stay in the gun will improve your scores, until you get too low. One of my favorite loads was 1-1/8 shot at 1045fps, cuts the pressure way down

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I agree with most that lighter shot loads will let you stay in the gun better. Due to health reason I must use less shot charges! I broke 198/200 + 100 in the shoot-off in the singles championships at the Autumn Grand with my 1 ounce loads. Even using 1-1/8th 2-3/4 dr loads is too much for me! I alternate between a 7/8ths ounce load and 1 ounce for singles and 1 ounce for my handicaps. Only way I can shoot anything close to decent scores these days.

Hap

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Lighter from two (2) perspectives - shot weight and slower fps's... I find better patterning and lessened recoil improve my singles numbers.

Jay

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Many shooters have improved their game by shooting 1 Oz loads, I am one of them. I like one ounce of #8 @ 1,200 Fps for singles and both shots at doubles. I don't think there is anything majical about the 1 Oz shells but they are easy to get comfortable with and when you are comfortable you tend to focus more on what is important - the target.

9. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

hmb,

If shell loads were indicative of body weight/height, many of us could not stand up after the report........ 2 oz loads at 2000 fps might be the average.

Not to say some of us shooters tip the scales on the high side, but I have seen more than once posted you have to eat your way to the 27.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Thanks Carl! The numbers I posted did get me to the vet runner-up shoot-off. I had my butt handed to me during our 5th shoot-off round which was shot from the sidewalk! My 1 ounce of 8s were a tad light from there!

Hap

11. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

1166, I shoot nothing but 7/8 oz. #8 or #7.5 loads at 1250 fps. on everything as far back as the 24 shot through a IM or Full choke and it crushes them. I haven't figured out why people like to shoot those heavier loads up close. One may as well enjoy it as much as you can don't you think.

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

3D. One of the simple explanations is that many good reloaders shoot one load and do not change their machines. So they go with compromise load for everything. I prefer max pellets for hcp. Lot of guys over think that the bullets will make a difference and keep switching. I am guilty of all that thinking. One load and various recipes.

13. Txdirtbroker

Txdirtbroker TS Member

I agree with the previous post on 7/8 oz loads

I use 7/8 oz. 7 1/2 or 8 shot 16.7 gr solo 1000 powder. Cheddite primer claybuster grey wad loaded in AA hulls
    Seems to work well and sure keeps the cost down

Gary

14. EE

EE Banned User Banned

A 'liter' load? That's about 12 pounds of shot.

15. Txdirtbroker

Txdirtbroker TS Member

I've yet to figure how 7/8 oz shot = 12 lbs maybe I never learned to figure calculations correctly

Gary

16. Hap MecTweaks

Tex, I think EE is sayin a liter bottle of shot weighs bout 25 pounds. :) He doesn't like the other spelling of liter, you know, lighter?

We've just about been converted to the grand ol European way of weights and measurements but not quite yet.

Hap

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

1166, Yes I really like one oz. loads and don't think I will be going back to l l/8 oz. loads again. Try some of these loads for 3 months and see if your average has gone up or down for you. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I went to 1 oz of 8s at 1180/1200 fps for all shots in the mid 1970s and have never loaded heavier since. I DID feel that the more comfortable loads worked to improve my scores and I was able to calculate needed savings at the same time. Most of you know I also dabble in 7/8 oz loads of 9s for skeet games and carry both loads around the sporting courses. I've posted a number of 100s at 16 yards with that skeet load. My misses are clearly attributed to my very own personal skills, not the load(s). If I had to resort to one load for all shooting it would be the 1 oz of 8s at 1180/1200 fps.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is a simple trade off. Fewer shot in the air is disadvantage.
    Lighter recoil is an advantage.
    All one needs to do is figure out if the advantage outweighs the disadvantage for him.

Pat Ireland

20. Hap MecTweaks

Pat, at the distances most singles are shot, how much is necessary or actually needed could also come into play, couldn't that work to ones advantage too?

A boxer with a tender jaw can take the light stuff all day till he gets hammered with the heavyweight stuff? :)

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.