1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

light target loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by melbournemike, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I'm just getting back into trap shooting after a 20 year absence,I'm partial to light loads using reddot powder,has anything changed I load 1oz ,17.5 grain loads of powder in remington gunclub hulls,using remington 1oz wads and once fired cases,rem 209 primers.anything I should watch out for? Mike Moloney

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Low flying airplanes?

3. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

That load should work.

As always, check out a loading manual.
    Check your powder drop with a scale.

ed.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

melbournemike

Looking at the data on Alliant's site, the load looks quite reasonable to me. I've used a similar load myself and think you should worry more about putting the shot on the target and low flying airplanes. :) It looks like you'd be getting abot 1170 fps or so. Pressure should still be under 9000 PSI. If you shoot a gaspipe, it would likely function well with it. You can find their site at the link above. Follow the links for the reloading data.

5. letterjranch

letterjranch TS Member

I used that very load for years with no problem except it was an STS hull or AA. However, I switched over to clays powder, as it is much much cleaner. Check the data but that should be about 1200 fps. Shoot them on sporting clays and they do very well. Even on the high towers or long crosser. Just got to get the flight line down. It will break them fine.

Jerry

6. powderburn

powderburn Member

HI
    Give Hodgdon "clays" a try. Really clean and soft shooting. Same load, it drops like Red Dot.
    -paowderburn

7. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

What has changed is that there is now a discounted Red Dot called Promo. Density may vary from lot to lot so verifying the drops of a new keg with a scale is VERY important. The burn rate is the same by weight as Red Dot.

There is now Hodgdon Clays, about the same burn rate but a lot cleaner. If you insist on staying with Alliant the have developed Clay Dot, it is like Hodgdon Clays and was supposedly developed independently by Alliant to be competitive with Hodgdon Clays.

There are a lot of cheaper clone wads: Claybuster and Down Range come to mind.

Remington primers are now 209P. I am not sure exactly how they compare to the older Remington 209s. When using the newer stuff look up and use current data/recipes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.