1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

light surface rust on rib. how to remove?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quartering, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

i've tried acetone, paint thinner, mineral spirits, silicone spray and pb blaster. nothing seems to be able to get under it and lift it off. in this day and age, isn't there something i can just spray on, rub off and eliminate the problem? thanks

2. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Read the instructions on Naval Jelly rust remover. It wipes on. Ray

Came back to edit...I figured the blue was already gone. Note. I said READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Even if I use 00 steel wool and oil I still apply cold blue and then light oil.

I took a Beretta 25 auto pistol (rust bucket that I had to hammer to get apart)and removed the rust and then filed the pits out, sanded it ending with with 400 grit. Then a GOOD cleaning and slightly heated with my hand held 110 bottle torch and without touching the metal applied cold bluing to it using a cotton cue tip. I was really surprised as it came out nearly as new. I was pleased. Ray

3. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Very fine steel wool and WD40.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

DO NOT USE NAVEL JELLY OR ANY OTHER RUST REMOVER!!!!

It will also remove the bluing faster than you can say "OH SHIT!!"

And, if you have it on your hands and clothing a brush against or handle any other firearm, the bluing will be gone.

The bluing on your gun is a controled rusting process. Within the manufacturing cirles, machine shops do not call it bluing but instead call it Black Oxiding.

Ahab has it correct. The steel wool will remove the "crusty rust", but the damages has already occured. You will find a light pit in the steel and that spot will appear white.

IF you insist on using rust remover to reek havoc on your bluing, take it to the middle of an open field and use it there. You'll minimize the damage to your other guns.

Trust me, I've seen it happen on several occassions. I've had gun owners come in with three or four of their guns with "white" finger prints on the steel.

Doug

6. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok maybe the belt sander is not the answer I would have to agree whatever Doug says because I know he knows his S**t.

Foggy!!

7. cnsane

cnsane Member

I used Flitz on my neglected guns. Not good as new, but not rusty anymore either.

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I use 0000 steel wool and Break Free CLP.

9. kd185

kd185 Member

ive heard that tin foil will work as a polishing material
    never tried it YET
    but worth a shot

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Kroil or PB Blaster with fine steel wool. I sometimes use the lead Wipe-Away cloth but it will remove bluing if you overdo it.

HM

11. quartering

quartering Active Member

so i didn't buy the el cheapo brass brush 3 pack for $3.99 at home depot, i splurged on the hencho en china 3 pack for $4.99. but i still have surface rust, brass bristles all over my work bench and brass bristles sticking out of my fingertips! who makes, or sells, a decent brass brush small enough for gun work? thanks

12. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

If you have rust on your gun.. maybe the cleaning solvent your using is to harsh. I have found that Rem-oil cleans very well without stripping the oil from the metal. In my opinion Break Cleaner and similar products are some of the worst enemy's a gun can have

13. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

0000 steel wool and diesel fuel.

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Wow! I am glad Doug caugh the Naval Jelly suggestion. Nothing takes off rust bluing like rust remover! I use regular gun oil and some OOOO steel wool. Rub over it with slight pressure just long enough to see it turning bare metal looking. That is the best it will come off without damaging the surrounding bluing. I usually clean the area with acetone. Then apply some cold bluing to darken the bare metal. Then oil.

Another suggestion. If you are going to remove bluing from a gun, do not use the same bench or pad that you use for setting other guns on during cleaning and such. The reasons should be obvious.

15. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Use Kleen King kitchen cleaning powder for pots and pans as a light abrasive mixed with gun oil and an old tooth brush should get most or all rust off.

I never use steel wool as it leaves microscopic particles and will promote rust. I use Bronze wool (available at marine stores) or 3-M abrasive pads wich are available from fine to corse textures and are less aggresive than spun metal pads. . A fine 3-M pad saturated with gun oil worked lightly over blued surfaces that have freckle rust will work wonders without damaging the bluing.

Surfer

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

"I can hear my Brownings rusting in the safe." LOL.

-Gary

17. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

never dull is the best looks like cotton

18. rick979

rick979 Active Member

You can take it off with a number of chemicals or fine abrasives but give it a couple of weeks and it is sure to come right back. Once you have rust you have rust.

19. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

iv done plenty of rust removers 4 friends neverdull leave s blue on takes rust off and it stays off try it

20. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Naval Jelly will peel the blue off of a gun as quick as any product out there.
    Don't use it unless you like the color of steel........learned the hard way on a gorgous little 20ga A5 Browning..............just a heads up

D.P.Reynolds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rusting rib texture

will pb blaster harm painted surfaces