1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Light strikes on a MX8

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MikeInNPR, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Just wondering what would cause light primer strikes on a MX8. It's happening in Both Barrels.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Check your firing pins, pull trigger assy and press the pins forward to full travel. Could be broken firing pin return springs coiling up. Could be 2 piece pins shortening, could be crud build up. Could be cracked hammer springs..

3. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Could be ejector trip rods bent and binding. JBB

4. sharhope

sharhope Member

I have had this problem myself. Replaced leaf springs new firing pins and springs.Also check if you have concentric ring indentations on the breech face.I still gt the odd failure to fire with the finocchi and cheddite brands. I assume your primers aren't set too deep.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The firing mechanism on an MX8 receiver works a little like dominos falling. One of the things that can cause light strikes is a gummed up or dry cocking rod. If it doesn't move freely and smoothly when you push it rearward then it can prevent the hammers from making their complete travel to the firing pins.

If all the other, more apparent things, are fixed and you still have the problem then you should remove the cocking rod, clean both the rod and the dovetail it travels in and the pin and detent spring thoroughly with a Gun Scrubber type cleaner and maybe a tooth brush. Lubricate with a light oil and usually that takes care of the light hits.

6. justanother99

justanother99 Member

Check the cocking bar, sometimes they will cause the hammers to bind if they get bent due to damage from removing and replacing the trigger assembly

7. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

happened with Estates and Kemens which was explained to me as a diferent primer design than conventional higher grade primers. i had one firing pin replaced. ill see how it goes this weekend.

8. porky

porky TS Member

Try cleaning the firing pin holes

9. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

just had this issue on my winchester sx1. turned out the firing pin spring was broken into 6 separate pieces. they were all bunched up inside the firing pin hole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.