1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Light scratches

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Hey guys: I have a stock that has a few scratches on it that were evidently done by someone who installed a recoil pad and scratched the stock with sandpaper. They are extremely light scratches and they are only noticeable is if you hold it a certain way . My question is if I use a 0000 steel wool pad with some oil; would this remove these scratches? Or should I just live with it? Thanks.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you have a dremial tool you can install a small cloth wheel and some rubbing compound and buff the scratches. depending on how deep they are you may be able to buff them away.at least make them less noticeable.

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Don't use power tools if at all possible. Try some polish made specifically for automotive clearcoat. Also, you could try a LIGHT bit of Bon-Ami. You are really just slightly cutting the clear coat over the wood; that's all you want to do.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've bought several wood-stocked rifles with "clothing scuffs" and have inflicted such marks myself. I use Meguiar's Scratch-X polish to remove them. It is a super mild abrasive polish and you probably will have to do the affected area five or six times but it will fix it right up without removing an excessive amount of finish. It is intended for removing buffer swirl marks from paint and that sounds like about the depth of marks you have.

Ed

5. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

try toothpaste on a patch on the area,or BC stock sheen/conditioner before the four ought steel wool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.