1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Light Rust on Shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deadpair51, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

Need some help with a rust problem. I have a 1100 12ga that is used as a duck hunting gun. Apparently at some point it was left in a gun case and has some rust spots on it that at first looked like lint,but is in fact light rust.Someone I know suggested using brass wool on it with a little oil . Are there any other remidies that might work ? The brass wool sounds a little extreme for the blueing .Thanks, Jim

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Clenzoil, in my opinion is the best product on the market for such a time as this. It will stop the rust and adds a coating that will keep it from rusting anymore. It may not make it look new but will restore it to like it was before the rust. Jackie B.

3. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Usually a thin layer of rust on a gun will come off through normal cleaning.

4. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Go to the store and get a box of Copper ChoreBoy cleaning pads(must get copper it is softer then the brass or steel wool) use that with some gun oil or break free and lightly rub it the copper will not hurt the blueing unless you really use some force.After you have cleaned it up well use rubbing alcohol to get all the oil cleaned off. Then you can get a blueing or blacking touch up and touch up the spots.

If your rust has pitted there only so much you can do for quick easy touching up.

Jerry

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

This might sound a little strange. Try a large rubber eraser I alway have a red one and a gray one in my pistol box.

If it is light surface rust that looks like the a red dust on the surface an erase will wipe it right off. Then use the Clensoil and you will eliminate it.

Bob Lawless

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If the rust is really fine, and the blueing is thin, then use cheap restroom paper towels. These are made from coarse paper fibers, and are actually mildly abrasive, though less than metal wool. Oil the paper and rub. It will take a while, but it will work. If the rust is more than really fine, you'll need metal wool.

7. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Noduck told you the right way to do it. the beav

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What Brian iO and oneATAime said.

(I just realized the double meaning of oneATAtime's on screen name, sly, I like it)

9. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Another vote for Noduck, also a real copper penny will work for small areas.

Robert

10. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

Thank You All , the members on this site are always so helpful and knowledgable.I do appreciate it. Jim

11. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

Just a follow up. I used the flitz ,the stuff worked great . The cloth I used kept showing signs of rust comming off the gun. Finished with a coat of oil . Gun looks great . Thanks again for the help. Jim

12. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

Stainless steel steel wool will cut the rust and will not remove bluing.
    Paul Bobby

13. FLIP

FLIP Member

no one told you to use flitz?? why ask

14. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

There was an earlier deleted post that mentioned flitz, Why are you so hostile FLIP ?

15. Craig

Craig TS Member

http://www.corrosionx.com/

amazing product !!!!

16. FLIP

FLIP Member

because i can not see deleted posts and I'm a trap shooter,and old and fat and found it funny after i read that he used Flitz without seeing anybody suggesting to,why would someone delete that post. and the other guy said if a choke fits is it ok,(fishing)its good advise not to assume, sounds dangerous ,don't want him shooting next to me that's why I'm hostile sorry bob if i offended you. also thanks to the other poster(robertt) for the Penny idea used it today works fine thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.