1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LIGHT RECOIL NEEDED

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Neil Winston, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

No such thing. Well, I did make some one time. There's a box over there on the shelf, between the 100 MPG carburetor and the even-patterning full choke tubes. I had the recipe written down, but my unicorn ate it.

Neil

2. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I a simpleton, but to me mass times velocity is what I use to guage how I get kicked. Barrel dwell time is something I can't feel. If I could, i don't know if I would prefer getting kicked less for longer, or more for less time.

I recently tried some 7/8 loads (AA Lite)at 1050. Shot a pair of 24s. They recoil so little you will wonder how you were breaking the birds. Use a full from 16 if you try them.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

You're funny Neil. Cruel, but funny.

-Gary

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Run the slowest powder that will work as a start. I used to even use Unique powder years ago when I reloaded; some Green Dot loads can be pleasant. I also recall Remington primers gave a softer "bump" than others..

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

shoot a 20Ga

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

There once was a fella from Ohio that was told to quit shooting due to a detached retnia. Being a beligerent old cuss, he worked out a one ounce load in a Federal paper case, loaded with PB powder and continued shooting it in a 1100 until he passed away. Was always unhappy that he couldn't shoot at the Grand because handloads weren't permitted back then. But he did shoot circles around many.
    I wish I had kept a record of that load. C'mon Neil, Dig out the old books and give a hand.

Big Jack

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Add ten pounds of lead ballast to your gun. It will appear to kick less.

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Neil's reply put me in stitches too Gary, but cruel? LOL, Bob

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Shoot a Rem 1100 or 1187.

10. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Federal top gun hull or Estates(1x fired only) 16grains of promo and 1oz of 8andhalf shot. Been loading them for the Mrs since last spring she shoots them from a 32in citori and she is 4ft 11in 120pds and she doesnt squalk a bit.(plus she makes the team and newspaper often)

Jerry

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I had the honor of shooting with a man in Kerrville.. who shot full choke 5E.. with 1/2oz. at about 1100 fps.. Less recoil than a 410.. He used Bullseye.. and a DRXXL with a 20 gauge felt filler wad.. while it seems not to have much going for it.. With #9's I watched him shoot countless 25's and 24's.. I only hope..when I'm at his age.. I can still see to shoot..

12. bigmike

bigmike TS Member

If you want to shoot 1 1/8@ 1200f.p.s. you may try a reduction system on your stock. Sure makes recoil more managable, most will tell you that 1200 f.p.s. is going to kick you some. just my thoughts shoot well,bigmike

13. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Federal paper hull,Fed 209A,Fed S-3 or S-4(if you have crimp problems)21 PB & go up from there by 1/2 grain until you are satisfied with chrono results. DO NOT change any componants. Or use aftermarket substitutions. Also try chrono factory Federal paper 2 3/4 dram. You will be surprised at the results. Much closer to 1200 than 1150 esp in a 34" tube. This is not a cheap & easy issue.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

There are several 1 1/8 loads that travel 1200 ft/sec and have very light recoil. All of them are shot with a gun that has a Precision Fit Stock.

Pat Ireland

15. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

You will notice a slight reduction in recoil by switching to other powders, BUT you will notice a BIGGER reduction in recoil by dropping to a 1-ounce load. ....Rick

16. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you really want LOW recoil here are some choices:

1. Browning Recoilless Trap Gun - IF you can tolerate the terrible trigger.

2. Lighter loads - 1 ounce and 7/8 oz are fine for 16 yards.

3. Shoot a 11 pound gun.

4. G-Squared Recoil Reducer - The best device out there!!

Jim Skeel

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

reddottm1, as you've seen, how a question is asked is directly related to the quality of the answers you'll get?

"NEED A RECIPE FOR 1200FPS 1 1/8 LOAD WITH VERY LIGHT RECOIL.."

Next time ask;

How can I obtain less felt recoil with bla bla bla load?

A heavier shotgun has less "felt" recoil with your load and the addition of a recoil reducing stock will also help. A fitted to you stock is first in reducing felt recoil, couple that with the other changes already mentioned will help you a bunch. For lighter FELT recoil! Hap

18. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

It's been 30 yrs since I last reloaded so the componnents may sound strange compared to todays offerings. The lowest felt recoil recipe I have come across is as follows:

Hull: RXP

Primer: CCI 209

Powder: SR 7625. 18.5gr for 16yd; 20.5gr for HC; 22.5gr for a really fast hunting load.

Wad: Federal (not sure of the # but it had the spiral staircase type mid section. Seems like it was a 12S3)

Shot: I always thought 1 1/8oz of Lawrence ex hard # 8 1/2 shot was like cheating for singles, #8 or 7 1/2 shot from HC.

Except for the wad substitution this was developed from the Lyman Book circa 1974. 16yd load was good for 1145 fps with approx 6000 psi cyl pressure. Now if you really want a soft shooter drop back to 1 oz shot, 17.5-18.0gr powder, and the appropriate Fed wad.

All this was developed before recoil reduction systems were widely available. The above loads are about as soft as you will find but the modern reducer systems will give the most "felt reduction". And don't forget the importance of proper gun fit.

Hope this helps at least a little, Marc

19. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

If you have to stick with that much shot, you may want to take a look at a receipt of Unique that Alliant has listed for the Rem STS case with CB wad. Unique is a little slower burning than Green Dot so the pressure is down a bit. The pressure is in the 7300 range at 1200 FPS according to them. I tried some of this receipt the past weekend and was pleasantly surprised. I would be surprised if there aren't other brands of hulls with similar data with this receipt.

20. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

Neil, that was to funny. That had me in tears. LOL but you are right there is no such thing. He better go to 1oz or 7/8soz loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.