1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Light recoil loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Cardude, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cardude

Cardude TS Member

I am wanting to load some for my 8 year old son to shoot at the 16 yard line with a 1100 skeet 12 guage gun Thanks for your Help

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use 7/8 oz of shot and put an 8 oz weight in the magazine tube infront of the spring and put an 8 oz weight in the butt stock and you will get rid of most of the recoil. HMB

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

No way will an 8 year old be able to hold that combination up to shoot correctly! He will probably want to give up early and possibly get turned off to shooting. Just using 7/8 oz loads at 1100~1125 fps will suffice.

AndyH

4. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Here's a great 3/4oz.load. Rem. STS hull, 16.4g clays powder, fed 12SO wad and a win. 209 primer. Use #8.5 or even #9 hard shot. I've been shooting this load for fun for two years, It functions my 1100 just fine and crushes targets from 16 yds.
    As soft a load as you'll get.
    Mike Pracht.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

8? Please wait at least a couple of years.

JMHO,

Tron

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I don't know about your son, cardude, but my grandson at 10 was unable to support a Winchester Mod. 62, .22 cal. rilfle I wanted him to try with snake loads into a coke can. He had to take shots supporting the rifle and arms over the top of a trap house. I've certainly seen 10 yr. olds that handled a shotgun properly and you may have one. First time out would still be interesting with a .22 rifle and shot shells against the evil soda can that he can make fly. In case your boy's a skilled line backer already, I agree with light loads with that 3/4 oz. load mikep mentions above......breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I shot my first Skeet tournament at the age of 8. This was in the days before Speed up Skeet. On the first time around, I missed all my singles, but on the way around the second time, I hit all my doubles. I was immediately hooked, and have been for over a half century.

If your young athlete weighs at least 75 lbs, he is big enough to shoot. You might consider a light single shot with the 3/4 oz load. Look up Cowboy Action loads for your favorite powder. A load listed above with Clays will do what you want. The 1100 may be a little too heavy for him now.

Do not underestimate these loads. They will boil a 16 yard bird, and are easy on gun, shooter, and pocketbook!

I now load 3/4 oz for all my 12 ga Skeet loads. At 1350, they break a bird as hard as a standard 1 1/8 oz factory.

The ONLY negative is the efficiency of my Browning's factory porting. On Skeet doubles, when firing the bottom barrel first, the gun dips down about 3", and has to be brought back up to get a sustained lead on the second bird!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.