1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LIGHT MODIFIED CHOKE??? OR FULL

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Your LM choke will be fantastic from the 16. This is generally the best seller from the choke tube makers.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

My personal preference is to not change choke tubes between singles and handicap. I could never remember if I had the right one in.

My suggestion is to use the tube that allows you to completely reduce the target to dust when you center it properly. I would not be very concerned with what is stamped on the outside of the tube, just how the tube preforms.

I believe it is important to know that when you do your job correctly nothing but dust is left in the air. That will also tell you that when you only break a target into a few pieces that you did something wrong and you need to do better before you miss one.

The choke tube you select will have a minor, at best, effect on your score. A well fitting stock, keeping your head down, moving from below your belt and seeing the target well are much more important that the choke tube you decide to use.

Pat Ireland

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

You didn't say what the constriction of your LM choke is. I have a LM choke that measures .025" constriction and to me that's just a modified. I use a "full" that measures .035" constriction in a .740 bore to get a nice uniform 28" pattern at 35 yards with my own 2 3/4 dram load of 8s. I'd suggest patterning the chokes with your usual load to see what they produce.

Morgan

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The deciding factor should be the score. "Hanging smoke " is nice but really doesn't mean anything. You should shoot the one you get the best scores with, based on at least a couple thousand targets with each.

Also: if you fail to break even now and then a target you "just know" you were "on," then you need a tighter choke.

Neil

5. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i'd rather have 25 chips than 24 ink balls.

6. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

My MX-10 only has the full choke on the Unsingle, so that's what I use. I'm not sure I could break more with a lesser choke. I know that I do leave a target or two for seed in the singles. I seem to be more proficient with the gun in the handicap and that's were the bucks are. Richard

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

fearlessfain- Most likely the only way one can get 25 chips is with a lot of luck.

Pat Ireland

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

fearlessfain...I've heard that saying ever since I started shooting trap many years ago. 25 chips beats 24 inkballs every time, right? While that statement may have some merit over 25 targets, I'm willing to bet that the shooter that inkballs the 24 will have the highest score in a 100 target event over the shooter that chipped 25. Why? Because the shooter that inkballed the 24 is a better, and more accomplished shooter than the other shooter. Chipping your way through an event does not make you a better shot over the long haul. Thanks, but I'll take the inkballs every time. I want to know where my shot is going, not where I "think" it's going. "Hanging smoke" helps give you the sight picture and the confidence you need to shoot good scores all the time. Watch the best shooters in our sport shoot an event. Do you see them just chipping the targets in singles, or do you just see smoke drifting from where the target used to be? Doubles and handicaps are the same. Good, solid hits, not chipping their way to the shoot-offs....Think about that next time someone tells you it's better to chip 25 than it is to smoke 24..... Just my opinion....Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I want to make sure I understand. The progression is:
    cylinder, skeet, improved cylinder, light modified, modified, improved modified, light full, full, extra full.

Are we talking about going from full to (less than) modified on 16 yards? I have been using improved modified and light full for singles, and full for caps.

Danny

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I agree with Dan. Dr. Andrews and Neil Winston have run many pattern tests that show that the more open choke has a weaker center core but does NOT add any pellets to the outer fringe. Use a Skeet choke for Skeet; Improved Modified for 16 yards and Full for Handicap very simple rule of thumb.

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Inkballs are pure luck. To get an inkball, a lot of pellets have to hit the target. Every pattern I've seen has areas of varying shot density. The dense areas are very seldom dead center. I have seen patterns where you could easily get a light break with a dead center hit. The key is to get the target in the pattern's kill zone which means that the target is going to get hit by several pellets insuring a break and maybe an inkball. Enjoy the inkballs when you get them, appreciate the chips when you get them, but just make sure you break'em all.

12. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

It's been said before but bears repeating: a shot pattern is not the 2 dimensional thing you see on a pattern board. It's a cloud with length as well as diameter. I'm reading "Trap Shooting is a Game of Opposites" for the umpteenth time and have just read the phrase that "trap shooting requires dense patterns and long shot strings" which are the kind produced by tighter chokes. I have tried more open chokes but didn't feel comfortable breaking targets into 2 or 3 pieces because I knew they were being hit by only a couple of pellets. I prefer lots of little pieces.

Morgan

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"...trap shooting requires ... long shot strings which are the kind produced by tighter chokes..."

Hmmm, I'd bet you a donut many folks, including Trap Professor Emeritus Sir Neil Winston would disagree on both of those statements.

14. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

By shooting a full choke 16's, you realise you have to pay attention and center each shot. Keeps your head in the game. I use to shoot .020 (M) and had "inkballs" as their called, but I shot fast. Had a 98-99 average for years.
    Now I use a full choke at all yardages, and take a little more time being precise, (still a 99 ave) and this patience has improved my handicap scores. It has forced me to be more precise, both mentally and physically.

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Ive been using Brieley IM spectrum choke for everything so far 16 back to 21.5. I recently shot a 22 from the 27y line.

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

You're not real likely to get 25 "chips" and even LESS likely to get 100 "chips" in a row, like JBrooks said (above), patterns are just not that even. They have thin spots and thick spots dispersed randomly inside the 20" core. What you want is a choke tight enuf' to virtually guarentee a break if you hit the target anywhere in the center 20" of the pattern, even if it happens to be a thin spot. With that, MOST of your properly executed shots will will result in either smoke or at least obviously good solid breaks.

If most of your breaks are "chips" or "Choppy" breaks then you can assume that at least some of those LOST targets that you just >knew< you were ON-------flew thru' a thin spot in the pattern, maybe right in the center?

John C. Saubak

17. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"Inkballs are pure luck. To get an inkball, a lot of pellets have to hit the target. Every pattern I've seen has areas of varying shot density. The dense areas are very seldom dead center. I have seen patterns where you could easily get a light break with a dead center hit. The key is to get the target in the pattern's kill zone which means that the target is going to get hit by several pellets insuring a break and maybe an inkball. Enjoy the inkballs when you get them, appreciate the chips when you get them, but just make sure you break'em all."
    You know guys, this is the absolute truth. Like it or not.
    You cannot reliably "read" hits on a clay target from a shotgun...it's just a fact.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

We should pay attention to the post by Dove commander. With a 99 singles average, he is one of the very top shooters in the USA and surely an All American. I wish I knew who he was.

Pat Ireland

19. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

A light Mod is a good choice, but why change if you're smoking 'em with the mod? My own pref is an Improved Mod.....the choke I've always shot well with at 16 yds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
choked light modified and full
full improved modified trap
light modified choke

light modified choke for trap

light modified choke for trap shooting
light modified choke tube
light modified for trap
neil winston choke for smoke