1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Light Loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by heitmanjoe, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heitmanjoe

heitmanjoe TS Member

My father-in-law loves to shoot trap, but is 80+ years old. He still has great reflexes (shoots sitting down) but he can only shoot for a little time because the recoil is too much for him. I have found some Remington 12 gauge 7/8 oz. loads, that help but was wondering if there is any ammo company that makes a 12 gauge 5/8 oz load. He has no desire to shoot handicap any more, 16 yards is plenty for him....He just likes to shoot a lot! We used to re-load, but I no longer have the time and it is just as easy for us to purchase the shells.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Remington make 24g loads for bunker at 1325fps and the managed recoil loads of 7/8oz #8 1/2 @ 1100fps. See URL above.

In an 8 lb gun, that will have about 11.1ft/lb or recoil. In a 9 lb gun it will have 9.9ft/lb.

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`ve been shooting 1 oz loads for years and find that as long as you drop the powder charge to suit the load , they still break targets from the 25 without the kick .

4. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Here's the lightest recoiling factory load you're going to find.

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/shotdetail.aspx?symbol=WL12FL8&bn=18&use=21

26 grams is 9/10s of an ounce.

24 gram (just under 7/8 oz) international loads are the lightest shot charge you're going to find in a 12 ga load, but with their high velocity, they probably kick as much as an ounce of shot at 1200 fps. If you want a 3/4 or 5/8 oz 12 ga load you're going to have to reload or switch to a 28 gauge.

~Michael

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Go to a 20 gauage or 28 gauge. If it's for fun why use a hard recoil 12 gauge?

6. 100straight

100straight Member

I've never seen 5/8 ounce loads, but 3/4 ounce is pretty common. Also, it doesn't take a lot of speed to break targets. One of my favorite loads is only 980 fps, and it turns targets to dust. I have some data on very light 3/4 ounce loads somewhere at home from IMR. If you are interested I can try to look it up. E-mail me direct if you like. Drop the xxx_ and _xxx on the ends.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Winchester feather lights or ultra lights , used them with my wife. now i reload
    WL12FL8 is the product code. Winlite

8. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I load shells for my Grand Daughter, who I am teaching the sport of Trap to. The load is 16 Grains of Red Dot, Claybuster Pink Wad for 1 oz. shot, AA Hull, Winchester 209 Primer. This is through her 12 Guage Charles Daily Semi Auto and she loves it. Of course she knows she is going to heavier Grains of powder in the near future 16.5. The recoil is almost nill with the 16.0. I would advise a Semi Auto and maybe a stock fit to him. These guns are not that expencive and if you let them do the adjustments to em they are warrantied for life. We purchased hers through WalMart. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken, the Reminton 7/8 oz load is loaded to almost 1400 fps. It is far from a light load.

Federal, Remington, Fiocchi and Winchester all make very light loads. Do not expect them to work an auto. They will work from the 16.

The Winchester feather 26 gram (around 15/16 oz) at under 1000 fps may have the least recoil.

I applaud your Dad for still shooting. These loads will help him have more fun.

10. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

How about a 20ga autoloader like an 1100?

Mike

11. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If the low recoil loads still have too much recoil, I suggest that you get a 28 ga tube for the gun if it is an o/u or single. You can buy Win AA and sell the empties for $0.10 plus each.

Jason

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Joe, I went back in and corrected the URL for the Remington STS managed recoils loads. See above. I like them much better than the Winchester Featherlites and the Fiocchi reduced recoil loads. Both the Winchester and the Fiocchis seem to have a sharper jab for recoil. The Fiocchi, because it goes 1200fps. I don't know why the Featherlite at 980fps feels harder than the Remington load.

13. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I'm with waverider: tube that 12ga down to a 28 and shoot 3/4oz loads.
    Don't go to a 20ga or a 28ga gun, they will not have enough weight to reduce the recoil as much as a tubed 12ga will.

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

found some of those 2 1/2 shells. Ya know, I have a 20g chambermate guage reducer in my 12g XT for 20g shoots. Shooting 7/8oz 20g is about the same as the winlites. The STS managed recoil where nice but after A while shop no longer stocked them. Dicks used to have AA feather lights but no longer, they started stocking a few boxes of the winlites at 6.50 a box. Thats when I started reloading.Lead Shot 12 1 1 oz. WAALite Win. 209 Rem. TGT 12 12.4 5,700 PSI 970 In STS shell. I then ran out of the Winchester lite powder and swithced to clays and loaded up some very light loads running 1025fps.

15. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

If you reload here is the best I have found for recoil. I have patterned & chrono'ed the load. It exremely uniform in velocity @1200 fps. Use an AA hull,Win 209 primer,Win 7/8 gray wad,rite at 14.8-15.0 grains of Red dot & 3/4 oz of 9's. Put a 20 gauge card or felt wad about 1/8" thick in the bottom of the shot cup. This allows a tight crimp. I have run 50 sraight 16's at our state shoot fooling around with this load. It will break targets easily @ 27 yds with my Wilkenson bbl TM-1. A pain in the butt because of the card wad but he will really love this load. Please DO NOT change any componants,it may not work well. Buy a bag of gray wads,100 Win primers,borrow some R.D. & go to it. If you can't find & really need a 100 felt wads to try the load,call me at 406 821-3215 & I will send them free for postage costs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.