1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Light loads with slow powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kenf, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenf

kenf Active Member

I am trying to work up a light load for 5 stand/ sporting clays in a Remington hull and wanted to know if anyone else has tried a slower burning powder like green dot,7625 or the like to push a 7/8 or 1 ounce load at 1250/1300 fps with low pressure, or if I would be better off with a fast powder with higher pressure?
    I don't want to end up with something that either blows the pattern or doesn't open up at close range.
    Ken

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

You can use Green Dot for fast 24 gram loads, but American Select may be a better choice.

I, like the rest of the world, have had fabulous results with Red Dot. It has won everything that has ever been up for grabs, and is not fazed by cold weather. I fear that in really cold weather, Green Dot might give you less than stellar results.

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Slow burning powders are for heavy loads or small gauge loads. Fast burning powders are for light loads. If you are going to load 7/8 ounce loads in a 12 gauge shell, use the fastest powder you can find. Otherwise you may have very poor results.

4. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

I have loaded 7/8 oz with 7625 but had a few grains of unburned powder left in the barrel. PB worked much better. But my best 7/8 oz load at around 1240 to 1250 is with Solo 1000.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Listen to SC and easystreet. You want a fast powder. In Remington hulls (STS or Gun Club) use an STS209 or W209 primer, 16gr to 20 grs of Red Dot, Federal 12S0 wad and 7/8oz hard shot. You definitely need the 12S0 wad to seal. You can use the Win WAA12L over 1250fps, but I seriously doubt you will like the pattern.

In the loads above, 16gr gives you about 1150fps. 17gr gives you 1200fps@7200psi. 20gr gives you 1300fps@8100psi. I've never gone beyond 1300fps, but there is plenty of room for more speed. This combination is the single best 7/8oz load I have developed in 4 years of trying.

6. Easystreet

I've found 7/8 ounce loads in 12 gauge to work best when the muzzle velocity is at least 1250 fps. Increasing it to about 1275 fps works even better.

I wouldn't even try to load 7/8 ounce at less than 1200 fps. You've got to have sufficient chamber pressure to ensure proper ignition and proper burning rates.

Also, as ZZT pointed out, you have to use the proper wad for the hull you're using. Straight walled hulls like the Federal hulls need the 12SO wad. Tapered hulls like AA or STS need a wad designed for tapered hulls like the WAA12SL or the Rem TGT 12. Switching wads and hulls indiscriminately is a good way to end up with disappointing results.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I tried 22.5 gr. of 7625 in a 7/8 oz. load. Used STS, WW209, TGT12 wad, and 8.5's. Those smoked the target from the 16 with no recoil. However, it left a lot of powder in the barrel, and when the wind was in my face I could feel the unused powder comming back and hitting me. It was most likely, a waste of good powder, but it shows you can use just about anything and still smack the bird from the 16.

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

kenf, you are thinking too much. I've never seen a blown pattern; I've never seen a pattern that didn't open up. We are talking about a dozen pellets here or there, and if they aren't here they _will_ be there and might sever as well doing that.

Pattern differences aren't like what you see in shotgun sports. If they actually printed two representative patterns, say the mid-point of five, of any of these powders, you couldn't possibly tell them apart, and if they posted the numbers to help you, you'd say "So what?"

Neil

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The lighter the load the faster the powder,also the colder it is the faster the powder, that is if you want good ignition and complete powder burn. HMB

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Easystreet, believe it or not, the 12S0 wad gives the most consistent results in an STS hull, especially at speeds around 1200 fps. It patterns beautifully as well.

11. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

What is the load for solo 1000 ?

12. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

I have found that a slower powder gives very inconsistent results in 7/8 and 1 oz loads. Win AAlite works well. I thought that Bullseye might be a good choice but Alliant didn't have much data. I asked an Alliant rep, at the grand, about this and his response was that it was too hot and would damage the wad base on ignition. D Winter

13. Easystreet

ZZT,

That could be. I've tried them in the old AA hulls and they were almost too tight a fit. I believe that the STS is very slightly bigger than the AA and they might work in there.

14. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

To pass103, for Solo 1000, 7/8 oz I use 19.0 for a fairly light load and 20.5 for a little faster load. I usually use AAHS hull W209 WAA12L gray wads. I like to load the 20.5 with 8 1/2 shot for sporting clays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.