1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Light Loads in a 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 12ShotTwo, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I'm looking for advice on how to go about adjusting my 12 ga 1100 for 7/8oz loads. The gun cycles fine for 1oz but struggles for ligher loads. Is this a matter of weaker springs or larger gas holes or both?

2. K-80BUD

K-80BUD TS Member

my 1100 shoots Win AA hulls, 16.5 Gr red dot, Claybuster Gray wads, 7/8 Oz shot and ww primers without any poblems. First use oooo steel wool on the tube, clean and soak the tube with breakfree, leave for 24 hrs and wipe off. Keep the tube and gas ports clean. Hope this helps. Bus Wood

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If the 1100 is otherwise functioning fine with normal loads, it would be a matter of adjusting the lighter loads to function the gun. Some powders may work better than others in that regard. It may require a little experimentation, but I can shoot many 7/8 or 24 gram loads in my 1100s without any trouble. If you are looking to shoot 950 fps 7/8oz loads, then it might not be a realistic expectation. 7/8oz at 1200 or above have worked for me, but not ALL of the loads I tried.

4. slodsm

slodsm Member

Is it a target barrel or field barrel? When was the last time you replaced the O-ring?

Jeremy

5. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Jeremy --30" target w/mod choke. New O-ring and action spring. I think the gun is functioning correctly. Others seem to be making it work but I'd have to go back to the reloading bench. Joe

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Drill Baby Drill

HM

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The advice to try different powders is more desirable than making irreversible modifications to the gun.

But yes, the gas ports can be enlargened for more gas flow into the gas chamber (erroneously called the "barrel hanger"). These need to be done carefully, with a set of step drills, one step drill at a time, and one port at a time, alternating back and forth.

Even more basic that that, it is possible the gas ports are simply carboned up. These can be carefully cleaned out with step drills as well, taking care not to increase the size of the port.

Typically the two holes in an 1100 trap barrel are .0790". This is a #47 step drill. However, the actual factory size can deviate larger OR SMALLER than this, so start with a smaller size first to clean.

8. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

My understanding is that the 26" skeet spec is a #44(.086)while as you say the 30" trap and the other field barrels are #47s. Seems like there is some room to open them up a little if one plans to only use lighter target loads.

I wonder if a little lighter spring would be a viable approach as well? Anybody have experience with this?

Joe

9. Brian in Oregon

I would consider .0860" to be nearing the upper limit for longer barrels. I have an 1100 trap barrel that's opened up quite a bit (I forgot the exact amount). It cycles some incredibly light loads. But heavy trap loads impart way too much bolt velocity and it gives a sharp kick with them. Go too far and you start cutting off the upper end loads.

10. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Thanks Brian that's the kind of information I was looking for.

11. DanLee

DanLee Member

You don't say what your load is, but 18 grains of Red Dot and a 12SO wad or the DownRange XXL wads will cycle as light as 5/8 oz of shot in my stock barrels. Also, if your gun has the new-style piston ring assembly, a switch to the old type should help.

Dan

12. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I'm using 700x @ 17gr, win 209, rem TGT12. Just a 7/8oz version of my standard 1oz and 1+1/8oz loads. I'll take a look at your load. As far as the piston goes, I didn't know there was an old version that is beter. Joe

13. Brian in Oregon

The newer style gas rings interlock, making one unit. The older rings are two separate pieces that do not interlock. Most guns don't seem to care which type is used, and others definitely prefer one or the other type.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content