1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

light loads for what?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mike T, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

Here are some questions?
    Shooting long yds 25+ is it reasonable to shoot lite 8's? ie: 1oz 1145fps or 1200 or 1 1/8 oz at 1145?

16's, why not shoot 1oz 8's at 1145fps or less ?

As ever one know 1 oz 8's have more shot than 1 1/8 71/2's So why get kicked when you don't have to?

Does 8's have enough energy to reliability break 27yd targets? The BIG DOGS seem to use 1200 to 1250 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's from the 27. There must be a reason. Any one ?

thanks
    mike t

2. mike T

mike T Member

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Let me play devil's advocate.

Breaks anywhere are more dramatic with 7.5s than they are with 8s. From the 27 that extra little bit of oomph may be enough for the scorer to see a chip and give you the bird.

Velocity considerations aside, I don't see much if any of a difference using 7.5s @ 1150fps, or 1200 or 1235 fps. The energy at a 40 yard target is 1.02, 1.07, and 1.1 lb/lb respectively. If you think that little bit of increased energy on target make any difference at all, go ahead and use the faster shells.

For 8s at the same range the energy is .81, .85 and .88 ft/lb respecively. That amounts to quite a bit of difference vis a vis 7.5s. I'm no where near a good enough shooter from 27 to say whether one or the other would get me another bird, but I will tell you that Nitro 27 8s do a spectacular job on the 27. Maybe it's mental, but they have enough retained energy to do the job, and way more pellets. That being said, on days when recoil is a problem 1 1/8oz 8s @1150fps work well also.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I know a number of 27 yarders that shoot nothing but 2 3/4 dram (1150fps) new shells at the 27 yard line. I know a number of 25 to 27 yarders that shoot 1 oz. of #8s from the long yardage. I for one and many others shoot sluggish 1 oz of #8 or smaller up close and even 7/8 oz of #9s for 16 yards, 1st shot of doubles, and other disciplines. Sure all that will work. Especially if you're confident in your custom loads. But if you can't believe in it, you'll likely founder with weenies; 80% in your head....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

zzt,

"Breaks anywhere are more dramatic with 7.5s than they are with 8s."

Hate to be argumentative but; I don't agree-------

John C. Saubak

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

That's OK John, it's subjective anyway. At the same fps, pieces fly apart faster with 7.5s but I get more smoke with 8s. What do you consider more dramatic?

7. grammie

grammie TS Member

If you had a 40yd race with two contestants,,,the 1st being a 1 1/8 oz load at 1145fps,,,,the 2nd being 1 1/8oz at 1200fps,,,,both fired at the same time,,,the 1200fps load will reach the target about 3 inches ahead of the 1145 load!!!! Or less time then it takes you to blink your eyes!!!!

At phoenix,,,we used to shoot from the flagpole out front during games,,,that is appx a 60 yd shot,,,good shooters can reliable break those targets using light loads!!!

One year I averaged above 91 on 8 thousand handicap targets targets using nothing but light loads!!!!

The only time you would need anything bigger than 8 shot is when its cold!!! The only time you need 1200fps loads is never!!!!

Your pattern is better with slower loads,,,your break point will remain the same,,and your scores will be consistant!!!

About the best load for 16's is one that travels about 900fps out of a "windjammer wad"!!!

AKA Grammie............

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

zzt - I believed you have missed one point. It really makes no difference how much energy is contained in a single shot. The key is how much energy is transfered to the target before the target breaks.

If something like 0.3 ft/lbs is required for a shot to pass through a target (my assumption), it makes little difference is the shot contains 0.8 or 1.2 ft/lbs of energy. Once the shot hits the target and the 0.3 ft/lbs is transfered to the target and the target breaks, no additional energy can be transfered to the target. Anything above the required 0.3 ft/lbs is wasted.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.